Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 406 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Overheating problems
By engs

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use to love driving my civic. It handled well and is suppose to be a safe car. The first four years I had the car I was very happy with it. Just over 100k miles while driving my daughter and my two young grandchildren from Fl to Pa it overheated on Interstate 95 at night. that was three years ago. Since, I haven't been able to travel farther than 50 miles from home. We have had the car to many shops and they can't find the problem. You name it we replaced it. Still overheating! If you go to hondatech.com you will find this is a common problem with Honda. So next we will have the head gasket repair which may run as high as $1,500. I'm not happy with Honda and would never buy another.

Honda should pay for the blown heads since it's such a common problem. They did something wrong with this engine that causes this problem. I'll stick with Ford.

Good value but some serious drawbacks
By smore

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

HEAT SUX (yes thermostat has been replaced with high temp).
If you live in a cold climate avoid this car.
This car is loud too, it picks up an unnecessary amount of road noise.
Otherwise it's a great car with great mileage and very reliable.
The interior is very loud t

Great mileage, great value, and reliable.

Honda should not economize on the heater! For a dollor or two more per car, put in a heater that's on par with every other car. Car needs more insulation too as road noise is bad.

I totalled my Honda, it saved my life.
By chelsb

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl CVT)

I was going over 100kph (60mph) in my little 2005 Honda Civic Coupe. I was drowsy and noticed I was going off the shoulder too late. I over corrected and fish tailed twice. I lost control around the turn, spun and slammed along the guard rail in my lane a couple times before making my full 360. I broke two guard rail posts and pushed it out to about 3 feet. I broke bumpers, my axle, [violative content deleted] my unibody and the whole drivers side of my car. But she kept me safe and secure the entire time, the frame taking the blow for me. I only have slight neck pain the next day. Everything mechanical even still works, engine is pristine.
Thank you Honda..

I will be repurchasing, maybe a fit.

It actually had a great sound system

I loved everything about this car. It lived up to and passed my expectations.

excellent hybrid
By lalala1

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My civic hybrid has been through a lot - long commutes, cross country trips, 2 high school drivers. It's still running well with over 170k miles & getting over 41mpg which is a lifesaver right now. As long as maintenance is kept up with it will last a long, long, long time! I'm expecting to drive this car for several more years, I love it.

fuel efficiency, easy to drive, great hybrid features - auto stop.

only one cigarette lighter, CVT has a judder when accelerating, check engine light is always on.

Good, Fun
By good12312

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well at 90K miles now with only new front brake pads and an oxygen sensor. Car still looks and feels new, no rattles, noting falling off. With the manual I can get all the power I need. Gas mileage is 35 mpg city.

front passenger needs more foot room