Used 2005 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 169 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

fun w/ 5spd but a dog on the HWY
By mkm230

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car a year ago to replace an aging 1993 Accord ex. Loved the build quality, comfort, and the moonroof that the Accord had. Given my history with Honda, I wanted to stick with them. So far, the 05 Civic has been a great car. Higher than average gas mileage for its class, comfortable seats, fun to shift through the gears w/ the 5spd. However, on the highway the noise level gets a little tiring after an hour or so. Doesn't have much power on hills, but keep in mind it's no v6. Had no problems as far as maintenance goes. Just change the oil and go. Just do the normal 105,000 service and you're good for another 105!

gas mileage, 5 spd tranny, responsive handling, gauges, easy to park, and as always with Honda, good visibility.

no ABS on LX model. Noisy on the highway. Miss my EX model!

Happy Honda Customer
By Happy Honda Customer

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in Dec. 2004. I was glad I made the purchase. This car has been very good to me. I kept up with the oil changes and the 30, 60, 90,000 mile service. I know have about 90,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it until I can't drive it anymore. The engine seems to have a high noise. The fuel economy isn't as good as it used to be probable because of the ethanol they are putting in the gas nowadays. I used to get on average 36 miles to the gallon now I get about 30 mpg. Could have better pick up in first gear. The throttle response is a little low. It kinda lags. However passing other cars is a breeze. Has some rattling hear and there.

Fuel economy. Reliability. Easy to read dash, except when the sun is behind you. Tighter turning radius. This car hugs the road.

Lower the engine volume. Better insulation in the bottom of the car for a smoother ride. Power windows seem to die after about 70,000 miles.

great car
By bamagirl

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my civic new and have no regrets. I love it. It is fun to drive, sporty, and reliable. It also gets great gas mileage - 36 mpg in the city. I couldn't ask for more.

roomy interior for a small car, very sporty exterior

none

loved the car
By khollen

2005 Honda Civic Sedan LX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because I was looking for something reliable, economical, and with good value. I found the perfect purchase in this civic, and loved every minute of driving it. I got into a pretty bad head-on collision after having the car for about 5 months, and walked out with minor bruises and injuries. The crumple zones were designed flawlessly and even though my car was totaled it protected me perfectly. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone.

The radio was really nice, and the gauge lights on the dashboard were attractive. Handling of the vehicle was fun and easy and drove like a champion.

Nothing, the car was awesome!

Not impressed
By Sarah

2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I used to own a 94 accord that never had any problems other than rust (289,000 miles), so when I bought my newish car I only looked at Honda's. Mistake. The car's quality is not very good. The cable for opening the gas tank broke recently so I have to open the gas tank door through the trunk $200 to fix). Car has a strange overheating problem that the dealer cannot diagnose, not good soundproofing in car, engine is loud, The warranty on these cars in crap, does not get that great of gas mileage, maybe 25-35. This car is boring to drive, especially in an automatic. However the car handles nicely in upstate NY snow and I feel safe in it. I think Honda is riding on their laurels...

Sound system, sunroof, good in snow

General quality. NOT A GOOD USED CAR PURCHASE. I will selling this car to some unfortunate person.