Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

It saved my life
By agross

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I had this car only two months and was extremely happy with it. A freak accident threw me into a concrete retaining wall at 60 mph, with impact on the front right half of the car. The entire front of the car was smashed flat and the engine block split. I walked away in tact with only two scratches, a chest bruise from the seatbelt, and a burn on my hand from the airbag. I loved the car before...it handles like a dream and is very comfortable to drive. But I'm going straight out to buy another, because I know first hand how well made they are! I wouldn't be here otherwise.

The way the car handles on winding roads. The silence when the car starts up.

Make the buttons on the radio/temperature control panel more distinctive by size or color or shape. You have to take your eyes off the road too much to see if you are pushing the right thing because they all look alike.

05 Civic Hybrid CVT
By Kathi Mag

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I drive a Civic out of choice, not necessity, I am disappointed that leather was not offered as an option. I had to order it as a custom item. Also, I would like to see automatic turn off of lights in the future. You wouldn't believe how many times I've run my battery down. Wish I'd opted for MP3 compatibility--was it an option? The mileage has not yet reached the advertised levels, but perhaps it's not yet fully broken in. During the recent high fuel price crunch, I was not complaining about my 38-41 mpg performance, but to date I have not reached the optimum 47/49 mpg. Overall, I have been very pleased with this car.

The seat design is made for me, perfectly ergonomically designed for my body. The controls are where any Honda or Acura owner would expect to find them. A very responsive vehicle with more guts than one would expect. In short, my Civic is fun to drive.

More luxury. Leather should be custom or an option, not a custom item. I'm forgetful: offer an automatic light turn off feature--I shouldn't have to have batteries recharged because I'm flaky. The remote should have a trunk opening feature. How about a hybrid hatchback and a hybrid convertible?

Mostly great, but one concern
By hybridia

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I've owned my '05 civic hybrid for about three months now, and for the most part, I love it. Very comfy, great console layout, roomy. The mileage isn't what was advertised, but I'm still averaging 39mph, which is great. The one issue I have is parking on hills. If the car is facing downhill, reversing up the hill to park is very tricky at first (I discovered this the hard way). I've found I have to use the emergency brake and rev up until the car gets out of Auto Stop, and only then does the car have the power to back up. Other than that and less pickup than I'd like (plus, the addition of a sun/moonroof would be nice, but that's minor), it's a solid car.

Comfort, blue-and-red dash is easy on the eyes at night, accessible controls

Better tires and pickup, sun/moonroof, advise drivers of the hill issue

A Fantastic "Little" Car!
By Unkabunca68

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'm a bit biased (a loyal Honda customer, this is my 3rd Civic), but this is an overall great car! Was a little apprehensive about paying +$3000 more than a standard Civic, but it was well worth it! Mileage isn't quite what I had expected -- I'm averaging about 40mpg -- but at 425-475 miles per tank, I won't complain! Acceleration is better than expected .. I was told it couldn't get out of it's own way ... it's a little slow to start, but but holds its own at highway speeds. Handles very well for a light-weight car. Maintenance is a little more expensive. Engine requires 0W20 motor oil, which is pricey. Love the real- time mpg calculator and auto-shut off feature. I'd buy again!

Look and feel, handling, economy, Honda reliability.

Would have loved a sunroof, fold down rear seat, but I'd happily buy this car again as-is!

Great car - saves money and air.
By BobT

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted a hybrid that looked like a car, and the Honda Civic is that car. Most people who have ridden in the car cannot believe that it is a hybrid. The performance has been great, and the mileage even better.

The dash give you a great deal of useful information. You can challenge yourself to get better gas mileage.

I think the engine shut off algorithm could be imrpoved to use the gas engine even less. It seems like Toyota may have a better one.