Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 404 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

@118,000 miles
By hiker8

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Annoyances but not necessary to fix: brake pedal pops, creaking noise from transmission when clutch pressed (difficult to lubricate), drivers seat has a little play when rocked back and forth, brake pads shift in calipers and "pop" when braking forward after braking reverse.

Major problems: Head gasket replaced at dealer for $950 @ around 115,000 miles. (If you heat goes out while idling and bubbles are coming from your coolant reservoir while idling you need a head gasket).

Other things: Front pads at 90k, oxygen sensor around 90k, fluids, filters tires.

The good: no electrical/accessory problems, drives pretty good and smooth with the manual. Solid and reliable despite head gasket.

Blew Head Gasket in Early Life, Great Reliability After
By mrsheng

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used back in 2008 when it had around 30K mileage.
My car was particularly unique because it had dealer installed custom interior seats and door panels (black faux leather vinyl).

As far as reliability and build quality, I rated it 3 out of 5.
My car blew a head gasket at 40K miles.
I don't know what caused it, but my only guess was the thermostat.
After much research online, it was a common problem.
I wonder if Honda had irregular thermostats installed in their Civics.
Anyways, after I took my car to the dealership for repair...the car has been working great ever since. 115K miles going strong and engine still sounds great.

This car was great! but boring as ever!
By jrx45x

2005 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car about a year ago, and i tell you now, this is the best car out there....for reliability....It got me from point A to point B everytime. I was at 80k miles and never had a check engine light or any problem at all, and i ragged on that little engine..It got great gas mileage. I filled up every other week and i was a teenager at the time so i was everywhere pedal to the floor.

But let me tell you before you buy it...I got to the point where this car was so boring for me...so slow for me that i went and bought a Volkswagen GTI..ya it breaks alot but its way more worth it then my civic ever was because i have fun everytime i drive!

But Honda really is the best Company ever.

Car didnt have many features. it was actually very bland on the inside. Just your basic car.

Radio...new engine haha but dont buy the car because you want to have fun with it.. buy it to save gas and never have to replace a thing.

Overheating problems
By engs

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I use to love driving my civic. It handled well and is suppose to be a safe car. The first four years I had the car I was very happy with it. Just over 100k miles while driving my daughter and my two young grandchildren from Fl to Pa it overheated on Interstate 95 at night. that was three years ago. Since, I haven't been able to travel farther than 50 miles from home. We have had the car to many shops and they can't find the problem. You name it we replaced it. Still overheating! If you go to hondatech.com you will find this is a common problem with Honda. So next we will have the head gasket repair which may run as high as $1,500. I'm not happy with Honda and would never buy another.

Honda should pay for the blown heads since it's such a common problem. They did something wrong with this engine that causes this problem. I'll stick with Ford.

Good value but some serious drawbacks
By smore

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

HEAT SUX (yes thermostat has been replaced with high temp).
If you live in a cold climate avoid this car.
This car is loud too, it picks up an unnecessary amount of road noise.
Otherwise it's a great car with great mileage and very reliable.
The interior is very loud t

Great mileage, great value, and reliable.

Honda should not economize on the heater! For a dollor or two more per car, put in a heater that's on par with every other car. Car needs more insulation too as road noise is bad.