Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 405 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Car!!
By Chris

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Hey, awesome gas mileage, low insurance rates and Honda's excellent reputation. I couldn't go wrong. It's speedy enough, handles corners well (especially when compared to my old Xterra) and is just fun to drive. Comfortable all the way.

The Gas mileage is awesome ... 30+ in the city easy, even with the AC at full blast ... 40 on the highway. And that's with an automatic.

While I could only swing the Value Package model, I wish Honda would have includes some power windows and locks. But I'm still young so rolling up and down the windows isn't that bad.

2004 CIVIC HYBRID
By DJL

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've thoroughly enjoyed my Hybrid. Going from a minivan to a subcompact, I thought the transition would be difficult, but the trade off has been worth it. The paint seems to be extremely delicate, nicking if you even look at it! I am not getting the mileage I was led to believe I'd be getting; however, as I do a LOT of highway driving, I'm getting anywhere from 40-44 mpg, which compared to my minivan is excellent. I fill up twice a month whether I need to or not. Overall, I'm very glad I went Hybrid. Even if I'm not getting the mileage I think I should be getting (50+), I have on occasion hit 50 (rarely) but I still feel as if I'm doing something positive for the environment! Win-Win

very roomy inside. I feel extremely safe in this small car

mileage could be better plus paint could be more durable

Totally worth it!
By Julie

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

OK, I'll admit, the sticker mpg of 47 highway is high - I usually get about 40mpg on the highway setting the cruise at 70. And the pick-up is a little slow (I used to have a 6 cyl, so it's an adjustment). In town (which is most of my driving anyway to work/school) I get 47/48 mpg, which is fantastic, and I still love how it "shuts off" at stoplights -all my friends just think this is the coolest. Sure, if money is the only reason you're buying, you'll probably never make up the cost unless gas reaches $5 a gallon, but if you want a reliable car that's easier on the environment and still nice on the pocketbook (a $30 fill up lasts me well over a month) this car is for you.

Gas mileage, of course. Plus Civics in general are just fun to zip around in!

There's only two things that could make it better: (1) being US- made (I live in Michigan, this is an issue) and (2) the silver metal around the gear shift reflects the sun RIGHT into my eyes sometimes - colored plastic, though not as pretty, would be better

2004 Civic Si
By VInce

2005 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My overall expereince wit hthis vehicle has been very good. This is the 3rd Honda vehicle I have owned. The first was a 1992 Accord EX that was going strong at 130k miles. I also have a 2003 Odyssey L. My only complaint with the Civic is very poor low-end (below 2500 RPM) torque. Best performance is between 3500 and 5500 RPM. With gas prices at $3.50/gallon, the 33MPG is a welcome situation. It also handles extremely well at all speeds, although you will need a set of rain/snow tires, if you live in wet regions. The original rubber is good only on dry pavement.

Fun to drive - a rocket at higher RPMs.

Intake/head/exhaust modifications or turbo/supercharger add-on to improve low-end torque. Light for the glove box. Door lock switch on the passenger door.

Problems with electric system IMA
By fred

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought in Aug 2005 and 15000mi @ yr. For over 6 weeks not able to drive car with use of electric IMA battery system, new EMC computer needed, none available and there is a national back order. I question if there is a defect or is this normal, 6wks, plus another component for starting the car has to be replaced. Also in the order for the new computer EMC, nothing was written up on the repair, I just have a card with the part number on it and was told it was ok to drive because the gasoline part of the system still functions. (that was until it needed component to start the engine) Am slightly frustrated with the process, the dealers have been nice, but it all makes wonder about the hybird.

Mileage, blue light color of dash, and roomy floor space of back seat and feel of car to the highway

Sound proof, automatic lights on/off with door opener and locks and trip mileage should with the simple math of of miles driven and gallons of gas purchased