Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 405 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

What causes the car to jerk
By kojow

2005 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Honda but recently it started jerking when driving between 20-40km/hour. Can anyone assist with an antidote to this problem?

2005 civic dx
By algu

2005 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car just over a year ago with 90000km on it. Now has 120000km mostly highway gets around 43 mpg. It's just a base model with 5spd stick. Work really good. Had to timing chain replaced at 95k as well as serpentine belts should be replaced every 100k. Have also replace break lines and Oil pan at Around 110k. Also just replace alternator witch is a common thing for Honda. Changed out spark plugs
And oil every 5k. Over all this car is a good reliable car no complaints mechanical wise runs like a top . As far as the interior seats are alittle stiff but are manageable. It's a fun little car and with today's gas prices I would recommend anyone of this car.

Standard transmission .4 cylinder engine.small tire size

Not so stiff seats.seats don't slide back enough. Brighter headlights. A/c in all models

Overheating since 70,000 miles
By eememymo

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my beloved and trusty 2000 Civic EX for this p.o.s. in 2011. The 2005 EX SE came with 24K miles on it.
At 68,000 miles (2012) with the heat on vent... heat ceases, cold air starts, temperature spikes high, heat comes back on, and gauge drops. The thermostat has been replaced twice. The coolant system has been flushed multiple times. The sensors have been replaced. The radiator, water pump, and timing belt have been replaced. Next thing to try = head gasket. After contacting Honda directly this year, I was told that a product update was given on '05/'06 Civic radiators, but "oops sorry" any manufacturer replacement of parts ran out in 2011. -_- Very, very disappointing!

I would suggest having a coolant system that works. Why does the air conditioner compressor turn on when the defroster is on?! There's an AC on/off button for that reason. There's no need to make the engine work harder just to defrost my windshield. Just like everything...a brand going downhill due to cheap shortcuts and shoddy workmanship. Also, there is less leg room in the 2005 compared to the 2000. I'm 5'10" so a couple of inches makes a differences. Stopping making dashboards so dam.n intrusive.

2005 Honda's - NoNo
By butler83

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan w/Front side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have an 05 Van and Civic.
I have been disappointed by both.
The van is below average and poorly reviewed in the van section.
I wrote honda and they did not stand behind their product.

My Civic has been steady, but the road noise is terrible.
Update - I've cured the road noise issues now and the little Honda is still chugging away problem free now.
Update - The Civic road noise/wheel bearing has been solved. The Civic has been slow and steady since.
I traded the 2005 van in. Honda will not help you if you get a bad one and my van was bad. 3 major AC repairs(over $1K and I live in MI). Starter issues and more.

Honda Reliability? Don't think so.
By jebedmund

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

After recently dealing with the dreaded "blown head gasket" @ 105k miles,
I'm stopping by Edmunds to read other's experiences. I can't believe how many people have had a blown head gasket on low mileage Civics. This is my second major complaint with the car ... the first being the air fuel sensor giving out a couple of years ago and the $400+ dealer quote on the repair. Honda should have covered both of these problems with recalls. Note to Honda marketing: *We WON'T be buying another Honda*.

This is the Mrs's daily driver ... a black EX with automatic and she had red leather seats installed when new. Prior to the recent heartache we've been happy with the car ... only needing to change the oil and buy a set of tires. The automatic shifts as smooth as any I've ever driven although I'd like to try the 5 speed auto in the newer cars. Decent gas mileage ... we get around 30 in local driving and around 40 on the open road. Of course good gas mileage doesn't save you anything if you are spending $1000s in repairs.

Too much tire noise on anything but smooth roads. I could use (adjustable) lumbar support in the seats. I wish it had a grab handle (like the passenger side) for easing into the driver side. The Mrs misses a thermometer, however I think the next series included one. 9 years later the rear shelf plastic seems to still be out-gassing and filming the rear window. The engine gets very noisy over 3k rpm, however don't they all? A 3 year/ 36,000 warranty from Honda vs 10 year/ 100,000 drive train from the competition. I've got a good idea which one we'll buy when we replace the Civic.