Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 405 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good, not super
By Clayton

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This car is very nice, but after driving an Accord, even an older one such as mine (94-97), it doesen't feel substantial. It drives real light, which is good for cornering, but not for feeling safe pulling out into traffic!

Backlit gauges, climate control design (vertical stack), visibility.

add 30 horses, add control to the suspension. emergency manuvering is not real comforting, compared with my old Honda Accord

A great cheap car.
By rkane

2005 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is overall a great value. The transmission grinds in 2nd gear, and if I weren't over 6 feet tall, I probably would not like the positioning of the 5 speed. Why does it not have 6? The new 2006 blows the doors off the '05. Honda may be losing their quality if you ask me ( I am a salesman myself ). Overall I would rate this car a 6.8 out of 10. The interior is pretty nice, just the exterior makes it pretty feminine.

The interior trim all the way around, it also has some juice in 3rd gear.

The 5-speed, definitely needs to go back to normal, and the 6 speed is almost here ( about time ). The exterior looks feminine.

Great Little Car
By Carl

2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an 05 SE LX with 5spd. Got 40 mpg on trip from VA to NJ with air on, and pushing each gear out of each tollbooth. Looking at 41-42 after car is broken in. Now have 500 miles on it. Handles great local and on highway. Has some wind noise at highway speeds and road noise on grooved road. And I fit well for a 6'2", 235lber.

Handling, gas mileage, just a fun car to drive, leather wrapped steering wheel feels so good

4 wheel ABS disc brakes, better sound insulation at highway speeds, sound controls on steering columm, more horsepower

An amazing car at an amazing price!
By Chris H

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a Ford Escort before buying my Civic Value Package in July of 2005. The car was brand new when I purchased it and I knew right away this was the car for me. I love the solid feel and the generous performance I get from this car. I usually get just under 300 miles per fill-up in town and about 350 if all the driving in interstate. I would HIGHLY recommend this vehicle to anyone looking to buy a reliable and cost effecient vehicle.

Solid construction. Great base stereo for the Value Package (CD/FM with 4 very good sounding speakers) with easy to navigate controls. Very little outside noise compared to my 99 Escort. Instrument panel very easy to read and accurate.

Seats can get uncomfortable as they are almost too solid in feel. The performance of the Value Package and lower models of the Civic can be a bit lacking but not horrible (better than my Escort). Engine can seem loud on hard acceleration. Stereo controls slightly out of reach for me (Im 6" tall).

Fun Plus Economy
By Bob

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car does get the advertised economy. We have averaged 46.7 MPG for 21k miles. Trips often are 50+. The car is comfortable, agile, and peppy, assuming you are in the right gear. Manual shifts well, clutch is great. Instruments are clear and the MPG bars give you something extra to watch in boring traffic. I have only two complaints. First the back seat won't fold down. Second, they should have a hatchback version for versitility plus economy. All in all, a great car.

Definitely the engine. Great clutch and transmission. I enjoy the manual transmission. Being able to select the right gear helps with the small engine.

They need a hatchback version and one in which the rear seats fold down.