Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 405 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good little car
By Chicagoland driver

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought it to replace my Ford midsized car. Very good handling. To state the obvious that some people forget, the way you drive will change the results you get with MPG. I've been averaging 42 since I bought the car in very mixed driving situations. Been as high as 50 and as low as 33. The computer is a little dumb and doesn't shut-off the gasonline engine sometimes when you're sitting in traffic. Overall, I'm very happy and love the blue color.

Styling is very simple and nice, inside and out. Love the blue color. Handles a bit like a golf cart (read: fun). Seats are very comfortable.

Lacks trunk-popper on remote keyless entry. Needs better computer "brain" to control gasoline shut-off system. Can't fold the rear seat. Environmental controls disable the Auto shutoff system unless they are turned to "auto" as well (even if turned "off")

Civic Minded
By James

2005 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second Honda Civic EX Coupe. I decided to give the Civic another chance as a commuter car. My other cars are an 05 EX Accord and an 05 EX CR-V. So far so good, no major complaints. This is a very good car within limits. I've owned 12 cars in the past 25 years. It doesn't matter if they are domestic or imports, there's problems with them. The Hondas I've owned have been no more reliable than Fords or Chryslers. People need to realize these are machines that can break down regardless who builds them. They're cars; take them for what they are, not who builds them!

Great value; $600 under invoice; reputation (that's what I thought on my '01 EX Civic Coupe); safety record; very good gas mileage (my Accord gets 27 to 28; Civic 29 to 33; not that big a difference); realtively fun to drive, even with an automatic. Good looks; nice wheels!

20 more horses; 2 inches wider (oh yeah, that's what the 2006 does).

Wish I had bought one earlier.
By John

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had an 03 Explorer and was getting between 17 to 22 MPG. Well no sooner did I get the hybrid that my bill went from $60 bucks per refill to $30 or less depending on the cost of gas. I love the 05 HCH, it is fun, fuel-efficient and all around good car. I would improve the HP but it's not to bad overall. Honda has done a great job at listening to its customers and I hope they continue to do so. Sadly the American companies once again lost the battle.

Auto-shutoff, CVT. Loaded vehicle. Overall fun, and fuel-efficient vehicle

Keep improving those MPGs

Really love this car!
By 2006Honda Civic

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Had a huge van before. This car is so easy to drive, park & most of all see out of! Love seeing my speed in big letters! Also, can't miss the gas guage. The gas lasts really long too! It is beautiful, inside & out. Totally happy with it all!

Dash board readability

Fabric on seats too light & impracticable for soil

Excellent Car
By Stan Grant

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I really like the handling of the Honda Civic Hybrid. Excellent gas mileage, great looks, sporty feel with the manual 5 speed. looks like a regular Civic which is great... Unlike the Toyota Prius - ugly.... I love it!

Gas mileage

Make fog lights as a standard like the Prius.