Used 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

200,000+ and still going
By nelsonoah

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Update to my 11/19/09 review.
I'm still driving it and have done nothing but regular stuff (oil/filter, brakes, tires).
I now have roughly 205k miles on it.
The IMA warning light came on about 1.5 years ago (around 190k miles). Honda said the hybrid battery was testing weak and needed replaced ($2,500 and 3-year/30k warranty).
I decided not to replace it and to just see what it'd do.
Battery doesn't keep charged up as well as it used to, but I'm still getting over 40mpg driving in town. I found a place that will put in a used battery with a 1-year guarantee for $1,275. Besides the battery, everything else seems to be in great shape.

Hybrid battery - originals were guaranteed for 100k and mine is still doing great work at 205k Other major components seem to be of great quality as I have had to fix nothing out of he ordinary. Radio/speakers, AC, heat, clutch, automatic locks/windows, transmission...all of this stuff still works perfect.

The only thing I wish was that there was more information out there on what happens when your hybrid vehicle gets very high mileage and what you can expect from your vehicle if the battery gets old or goes bad. I'm glad I decided not to pay Honda $2,500 for a used battery when mine has been fine for 15k and continues to work.

excellent hybrid
By lalala1

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My civic hybrid has been through a lot - long commutes, cross country trips, 2 high school drivers. It's still running well with over 170k miles & getting over 41mpg which is a lifesaver right now. As long as maintenance is kept up with it will last a long, long, long time! I'm expecting to drive this car for several more years, I love it.

fuel efficiency, easy to drive, great hybrid features - auto stop.

only one cigarette lighter, CVT has a judder when accelerating, check engine light is always on.

Miles Not a Worry
By Noah

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I purchased my 1-owner (carfacts) used car in July of 2009 with 175,000 miles already on it. I have loved everything about it. Depending on the terrain and wind, the mileage has ranged from 36-54mph, with the worst coming from driving into terrible winds and the best from driving with a breeze (have yet to drive with a strong wind). Car gets about 49mpg in town when driving with care. I have put 5,000 miles on it since purchasing and it's averaged 47mpg city/highway. Have had NO problems whatsoever to speak of, even with the high mileage. Have only replaced the oil/filter (once a year or every 10,000 miles). I would tell any and everybody that they would love a Honda Civic Hybrid!!

The mileage is obviously its greatest feature. The trunk space is also good sized for a compact car. Rear passengers have plenty of room. I also enjoy the instant mpg meter, which pretty much "teaches" you how to achieve the best miles per gallon. It's changed how I drive a vehicle.

I wish the car came with a moon roof option. Highway mileage is best driving at about 55-65 mph. Would be nice if you could get in the 45mpg range going 80mph on the interstate instead of about 35mph. That's more of "wishful thinking" than suggested improvements though.

CVT Transmission
By ron

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Owned my Honda from brand new in 2005. Gas mileage about 41 combined city/highway. I have about 80,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my CVT from the start. At 20,000 I had my fluid changed because of a grunting noise at start off. Fifteen thousands miles later the Honda replaced the clutch because of chattering they called it. It seemed to start back grunting at about 50,000. Then on an oil change they detected a motor support broken and replaced it. The grunting seemed to go away but came back soon afterward. Can't seem to get this grunting noise to go away. Has anyone ever heard or had this problem with their CVT transmission? This problems really irritates me!!!

Looks and fun to drive.

Get a better CVT.

Time for another Hybrid
By Rick W

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Have had a lot of fun with this car. Driving is fun and playful. I have figured that traveling East to West I gain 10% on mileage because of the winds generally from the West. I have gotten up to 52 mpg on the NYS Thruway eastbound and 48 westbound. Drops to 46 mpg going through the Berkshires. Lots of pep and pickup. Surprised my wife on its passing capability.

I like the instant recalculation of the mpg meter and being able to calculate for short trips and long trips. When the radio fades, the CD is always there for a backup.

I have purchased a GPS for travels and that has augmented the fun a lot. This would be an improvement if they could come up with one that is comparable in price. Can't see paying more than $400 for one, installed or not. Radio reception could be improved with the new technology.