Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 405 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Holds its Value
By Happy Dad

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car for my daughter with 35,000 miles on it. The few times I have driven it I have been pleasantly surprised. It is especially comfortable at highway speeds. I just looked up the resale value and it has only depreciated $1,500 in two years. I would like to see the front bucket seats beefed-up somewhat. I weigh 225 and the seats do 'creek' upon entrance or exit.

The best part is the gas mileage. I recently got 40+ mpg on a 500 mile trip. Day-to-day mileage is 30+ mpg. At 65 the ride is smooth and quiet.

As I said, the seats could be made more heavy-duty.

Honda civics will rule the world
By sandrasmith

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This car has so much power. I love it. I used to drive a minivan and thought changing into a car that is much lower would be horrible. It ended up being fantastic and I've never loved a car more.

Power, Compact, and Easy to drive.

Comfort could be improved slightly, but other than that, perfect.

Works great!
By excowdoc

2005 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have over 100,000 miles on the stick shift Civic and very little problems. The best mileage I got was 52 highway with the wind at my back. Consistently gets in the 40s except in very cold weather. The gear shift is its weakest point with occasional difficulties getting into reverse and the mechanics say is just the way this transmission is. I plan on running it into the ground because of the great mileage.

Mileage, low cost of ownership

Happy Customer!
By MelissaW

2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this vehicle for a few months now and I have had absolutely no problems. I purchased the vehicle with 53,000 miles and I now have around 59,000. I have been averaging 32-35 miles per gallon (all highway).

Miles per gallon, design.

CVT Transmission
By ron

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Owned my Honda from brand new in 2005. Gas mileage about 41 combined city/highway. I have about 80,000 miles on it. I have had problems with my CVT from the start. At 20,000 I had my fluid changed because of a grunting noise at start off. Fifteen thousands miles later the Honda replaced the clutch because of chattering they called it. It seemed to start back grunting at about 50,000. Then on an oil change they detected a motor support broken and replaced it. The grunting seemed to go away but came back soon afterward. Can't seem to get this grunting noise to go away. Has anyone ever heard or had this problem with their CVT transmission? This problems really irritates me!!!

Looks and fun to drive.