Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 560 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Awesome on the highway if you drive slow
By hovsolo

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought this car for my 65 mile round trip commute. It's awesome on the highway if I drive at a constant speed. Going 80, I'll get about 42 mpg. 65-70 mph and it will be around 45-48 mpg. Be a pain to everyone else (55-60mph) and get 49-52 mpg. Acceleration is horrible, and so is the throttle response when trying to stomp on the accelerator pedal. Overall, this car does what it is intended to, be a great commuter. In addition, it is easy to drive at the limits because the low rolling resistance tires are always screaming at you.

Instantaneous mpg indicator. This gauge makes driving a hybrid like a video game where the highscore is high MPG.

Throttle/acceleration response. I'm a left-foot-braker, and when I use the gas pedal after a stop light, there is about a half second pause before the engine responds.

Love my Honda
By jenleechang

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Civic for 4 full years now and I've NEVER had any problems with it. The only time I've ever had to take it to the shop is to get an oil change. It's the most comfortable car you'll ride in - everything is designed conveniently and easy to use. I think the Civic has better mpg than a lot of hybrids. My payments were less than $200/month, and I just finished paying it off 2 months ago. It's the best car I've ever had and I plan on driving it for at least another 4-5 years.

I love the dashboard colors. Considering the size of the car, the trunk space is really big and there is a lot of leg room in the front and back seats.

Stay with quality you know!
By jpc477

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought an 04 Civic EX. I had owned other Hondas but for a period of time owned an 03 Mazda Protege then an 05 Hyundai Santa Fe. The Civic I have now runs & drives flawlessly and is solid when it comes to handling. I don't worry like I did with the other cars when I see gas go up. The moral of the story is if you've been a Honda owner especially for a while and are thinking of something else, stick with what you know. You just can't go wrong with these vehicles.

The best of both worlds - is very affordable to own & easy to maintain but truly has an up-scale look to it. It drives GREAT. Easy to read gauges, overall very comfortable to be in and of course, great gas mileage.

Acceleration could be just a tad bit better; it's ok but a little extra wouldn't hurt - I'm planning on adding a cool air intake to address this. Headlights could be tad brighter - planning on adding HIDs.

Good for trips
By sjc355VT

2004 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car on trips, but I should've gotten a 5 speed! I live where we have 8% grade mountains that I sometimes have to go down in winter. Most economy cars even in automatic have a 1st gear option that you can manually put the car into. This does NOT! And the fact that there are no ABS brakes means pumping the brakes on straight-aways then hoping you don't slide across the corner off the mountain. It's scary. I love this car, but that is reason enough for me to get something with 1st gear as an option. Also on dry straight-aways I tried it in 2nd gear and it didn't stay where it should - it picked up speed! Hello!

Great mileage. Nothing will break with crank Windows. Trunk and passenger space. Comfortable place to put feet when driving.

In the automatic version put a 1st gear manual option. Why bother with 3rd, most people would need 2nd and 1st, especially going down snow covered mountains!

Fix the problems with the engine light
By kat

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Since the car reached about 80,000 miles the service engine light comes on at least once a month... It has had a new computer chip, catalytic converter, and transmission clutch box. Now they tell me it needs another catalytic converter $1100. The mechanic told me that Honda has not been able to find a fix for this issue but now it is no longer in warranty. I have had all recommended maintenance which costs between $200-400 each time. I would think that the car would not be falling apart. I have a friend who had to replace the transmission just after 100000.

Can drive HOV

Fix the problem so I can say (like the 2 Buicks, 1 Toyota and 1 Subaru that I owned) "I got 300,000 miles." At this point I think I would settle for 200,000. I take care of my cars. Honda I was expecting better if not as good. Dealership is very nice. Staff is very nice. But I want a fix. That doesn't cost an arm and a leg