Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 560 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Excellent
By John

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way it drives....VERY dependable.....wish is was a bit more sleeker in design, but the 2006 design solves that problem :)

Love how the dashboards glows at night, displaying an indigo illumination.

As mentioned above, wish it was a bit sleeker in design, but ideally, the 2006 Civic solves that problem by far.

2004 Civic Hybrid
By TOM

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Great auto for 100 mile r/t to work. Comfortable for 6'2, 230 lb guy. No repairs as of 35,000 miles, except for service. Handles good in wet conditons but poor in snow.

Great on gas mileage, 44 mpg, which as expected is under the EPA's test of 50 mpg.

Don't love the car
By Ann

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 17 months. During that time, I have had to have a windshield seal reglued, the fuel sensor replaced, the cruise control unit replaced, the sunroof control unit replaced, and most recently, the gauges replaced. The gauges were replaced this week and the odometer now reads 100+ miles. Honda told me yesterday that they cannot reset it to the actual mileage--very annoying. I guess I'm supposed to live with this even though the car is under warranty. I'm not happy, and I still don't know yet if my low-fuel light problem has been fixed so that I actually can know when I need gas without tracking my mileage with the tripometer.

interior design and comfort.

Fix the low-fuel light so that it is reliable. Mine comes on anywhere from between fumes in the tank (less than a gallon) and 4 gallons in the tank.

Solid Economy Car
By Wxwzrd1

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Decided to try a Honda sedan after racking up over 235,000 miles on my 1993 Toyota pickup. Based on past performance and reliability, this looked like the perfect runner. I was not disappointed as the 1.7 is peppy when combined with the 5-speed--and gets about 30 mpg around town. All controls are easy to reach. Dash lights are great since you can adjust independently with and without the headlights on. Stereo is of excellent quality. Fold down seats are a bonus when extra room is needed for cargo. Suspension is solid and surprising-- doesn't feel like a typical subcompact. Front seats are slightly cramped but not uncomfortable. Seats have good support for long drives.

Peppy engine, solid brakes, dual trip meters, adjustable dash lights, reasonably smooth suspension, and effortless shifting of the 5-speed transmission.

Make vehicle slightly wider to eliminate cramped feeling up front. Perhaps a 6-speed transmission would help compensate for low shift points and allow better cruising at freeway speeds.

My first Honda - won't be my last!
By Paul

2004 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Honda after having American made cars. I had heard about the reliability and higher resale of Japanese cars and decided that I wanted some of that after having a few lemons. I have not been disappointed! My Civic is great. I drive about 32K per year, and since I spend so much time in my car, I needed one that would be reliable, comfortable, and get great gas mileage. My Civic is all of these. Plus, it looks great!

Sunroof, stereo, GAS MILEAGE, styling, handling, reliability. I love almost everything about this car.

The power moonroof switch is a little awkward to locate, as is the main Cruis on/off switch. They are both to the lower left and difficult to see, especially when driving.