Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 560 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Can't feel the hype
By lfas

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car in 4-door LX 4 speed auto guise for neigh on four years, and other than the fact that this little car handled like crazy and could take an off ramp at 60 mph with ease, that's where my admiration ends.

Post ownership, and for the life of me I cannot grasp the Honda hype that led me to plunk down my cash on this vehicle. I just plainly don't know what sparks such admiration for Honda Civcs.

The car was vastly underpowered for daily commuter driving around the Chicagoland area. I am fond of saying that Civics can't manage to get out of their own way. Was it the auto trans that muted power? The car had an all around anemic, fragile feel to me.

My 04 Civic is a dream
By em7rulez

2004 Honda Civic Value Package 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I remember when I wanted this car it was all i could think about. Owning a 1992 Camaro prior to this car made me appreciate the value this car offers. The civic is a VP and this model does a good job at offering great gas mileage, speed, handling, and overall quality. The previous reviews on this car is exactly right this car is the most efficient coupe you can buy today period. You can mod it to make it even better than what it is. I drive to work and I only have to fill up at least every other week and a half. I can go two weeks and 3 days without filling this car up. I purchased this car used at 65,000 miles and i have 86,000 miles and i plan to never get rid of this car.

The seats could be better that is my only problem with this car. They really are not meant for more than 2 hours of driving.

When Honda Made Good Cars
By ravfjr

2004 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I really liked this car... It was a good value for the money. The gas mileage was reasonable at 34 MPG highway. It felt solid to drive, but a bit underpowered. The interior was nice and quiet, and didn't rattle like my now 2012 Civic Coupe. I'm sorry I traded this car in...

Wonderful value for the money... Reliable and easy to drive. Instrument cluster was well designed and the stereo was nice for an OEM unit.

More comfortable seats, easier shifting on the 5-speed and a bit more power would have been nice.

perfect car for recent college grad
By trogdor1

2004 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback w/Side Airbags (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has everything I want. The lack of rear doors is compensated by the folding back seats. I can easily fit skis and snowboards in there. The mileage is obviously less than advertised. I get about 24/34 city/highway, while redlining it after every red light and toll booth. The goofy-looking thing has its own personality. It feels like a puppy who wants to sprint, just give it a little incentive. The shifter is easy to reach and the suspension is not too rough and hugs corners swimmingly. I have easily fit 3 people in the back, and the front bucket racing seats are amazing. No other car I have driven has the same sporty feel as this one. And i owned VW's, mercedes, ford, and acuras.

The engine is powerful enough to haul the car's weight and make it sprint at any speed. The seats, the shifter, and the interior are very thoughtfully designed. 3 cupholders and tons of shelves for sunglasses, phones, etc. The engine sound is a nice low purr.

Make the oil filter easier to reach. I never had to change my oil at a mechanic until I got this car and it is impossible to get to from underneath or above.

The Forgotten Honda
By wavey83

2004 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '04 SiR (Canada) with 180 000 km on it, a mechanic used to own it, so it was still in great shape, compression was A1 and took no oil.

I'm now at 220 000 km and still runs awsome, very reliable little car. Didn't do much repairs on it except regular maintenance.

I use it as a daily driver and do at least 180 km a day on average, it gets great mileage and hasn't let me go yet.

Above all, it's a blast to drive, handles great, but in a weird kind of way: understeers a lot, but it will still manage to get around the corner very quickly.

My only complaint: Needs more power, it tends to feel weak at low RPM's, but thank god, like all Hondas, it loves to rev :)

Handling, Seats, Engine and Transmission, Hatchback Design, Gas Mileage.

Needs more power and a sixth gear, it would really improve mileage on the highway.