Used 2004 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 560 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good Daily Driver
By hansel313

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for a little over 2 years now. I bought it for getting to work and college, as well as cheap insurance. The Civic is pretty slow, and I usually have to rev into 4-5k RPM to make it to freeway speeds by the time I need to merge. Freeway passing is slow, unless you downshift to 4th. Gas mileage is good, but not the greatest, but one of the better ones at the price. I haven't had any major mechanical issues, just a broken power door lock actuator which was fixed under the extended warranty. Maintenance is a breeze. Interior breaks and scratches easily. Good view out the rear. It gets you from A to B, which is its intended purpose.

Exterior. Gas mileage, cheap insurance. No major mechanical issues in my experience.

I put in a short shifter for well... shorter throws. I also updated the stereo system. Fabricated brighter dash lights to be able to read them easier. Needs better tires, suspension. Most of the complaints I have are irrelevant because the car does what I need it to do.

Bit of a tripod
By Azrael

2004 Honda Civic Si 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006, and have not had a single problem. I love taking it up past 5000 (and so does it). You can't give this car too much abuse. It just laps it up. Although, I agree with top gear, it is a "bit of a tripod". It handles like a dream, and accelerates like a bloody rocket! I'm averaging about 30-35 on the highway, and that's at a constant 6500 rpm! I'm pretty sure if I slowed down a bit, I could get better mileage. Nah...

The gear lever. Right in the center of the dash. I have always been a fan of rally ingenuity, but in a Honda? That's unheard of. Plenty of room in the back seat, and the boot is just HUGE!!!

A little more torque would be ideal. 132 ft.lbs just is not enough to launch the 2700 pound car quickly enough.

Great car
By Ashtray77

2004 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new and it's been very reliable, fuel efficient, fun to drive (5 spd) and looks great too. I expect to keep it for at least another 5-6 years. I have read other reviews saying that there is a troublesome blind spot, but I haven't noticed it. Just adjust your mirrors people. google search "12 Steps to Rid Yourself of the Blindspot in Your Sideview Mirrors"

see above

My only trouble so far with this car is that the driver seat rocks back and forth while driving. It is a known problem with the bushings in the height adjustment. I guess that happens when you're a big guy like me (6'-0" 250 lbs)

Happy EX Owner
By Buckeye

2004 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very reliable car that gets very good gas mileage. I am getting 41 mpg on the highway and 34-36 mpg city. I have the 4 door sedan that has plenty of room for 4 people. Trunk capacity is very good. Bought the vehicle brand new and now I have 45,000 miles on it. I have never had to take it in for service for anything more than the normal oil change and the regular maint. Resale value is great! I am a very happy Honda owner.

Car handles like a sports car. Very fun to drive.

The car can get better gas mileage through better if flow management. The K&N air kit improves gas mileage by 3-5 mpg which puts it almost into hybrid mpg ratings. Honda can do better with mpg on these cars. There is no reason they should not be getting 45mpg.

Simply amazed!
By Fraug

2004 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

A few years ago I would never buy a vehicle that was not an "American" automobile. When gasoline prices began rising early 2004, I was no longer as proud of my American gas-guzzling pickup truck. Though I still need it for my small ranch. Perfect for that! Anyway, the payment for my Civic was almost the same as the cost for the gasoline I was using in my truck for commuting to work. The amount I spend on gasoline now is almost the same as I was spending on my pickup 4 years ago. i am averaging 32- 35 mpg with 73,000 miles. I commute 100 miles total every day. I have had ZERO problems with my Civic!

Gasoline mileage.

Standard anti-lock brakes. Keyless trunk opener button on fob. More available popular factory options.