Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 589 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

93,000 miles and counting
By UncleTurbo

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Civic new with the intention of keeping it until either it goes or I go whichever comes first. I was just short of 55 at the time and in very good health so I wanted a car with staying power, that was sporty, fun, and economical. So far, perfect choice. The Civic delivers super gas mpg, I get over 40 mpg on expressway trips and always over 30 mpg, and generally average 35 mpg. No repair issues; one strut replaced under warranty ages ago, front brakes at 75K miles, and otherwise regular maint. Handles great, VTec motors hits with more power above 3,500 rpm, a budget sports car. It can take 4 people anywhere in comfort with their luggage. Just a practical and enjoyable car.

It has a big trunk for a small car, seats are comfy. Shifter has good positive feel with tight sporty throw to next gear. Good paint that still shines, easy to clean interior, rear folding seats come in handy. Good room for rear seat passengers. Bullet proof reliability. Very few repairs.

Better sound deadening from road noise, make sure to select tires that are "quiet". Original tires were lousy and lasted only 23K miles. Michelin replacements just now worn out after 70K miles. A six speed trans with another higher overdrive gear for better highway mpg and lower rpm at 70 mph.

It has survived me so far with 200k+
By C Read

2003 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've enjoyed driving the car, mileage is great, especially since I drive a lot of miles, but I have had my problems with the car: alternator went at 90k, the trans had a bearing go at 135k (replacement required), paint started peeling at year 4, ECCM (computer) went at 197k, the fabric on the doors started coming off (glue degraded). The engine is still. Though this car hasn't been as worry free as hoped, but with the high mileage accumulated as quick as it was, I would say it has handled as well could be expected with any car, I'll compare my next car when I get one, until then.

better than expected mileage. comfortable for me.

shift linkage in the transmission. lower road noise.

No complaints here
By JF

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought used in 11/2008 with 42k miles. In the first year I put 26k commuting to work 60 miles round trip and a couple of trips to the beach. This car has taken a beating the way I drive it and it has not let me down once. Needless to say, its dependable...that's why I bought it in the first place. For a small, 4cyl sedan, I couldn't be happier. No clicking, rattling or odd noises/smells at any time. All parts/side moldings still holding strong. Transmission always shifts smoothly. The abrupt downshift when braking is actually the"automatic brake assist" a good safety feature but can be annoying at times. Overall...I love my Civic.

Safety: front and side airbags, ABS brakes, auto-brake assist. Always reliable, gas mileage, cheap to own/operate. Trunk space. Takes a beating and keeps on going.

Seating comfort not too bad but not the greatest either.

Very nice econo ride
By Willie T

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this auto when gas prices started rising sharply. My other 3 cars have V-8s, so I needed a daily driver that was economical and reliable. It took a while to adjust to the 4 cyl. and how light this car was. No secret these are compromise for the gas mileage. I adjusted quickly when I could fill the tank with 10 gallons and drive 300 to 370 miles. The best mileage I got was 37 MPG running 80 MPH on interstate and worst was 30 MPG locally. I also installed a set of Eibach sway bars that were well worth the cost. Over the past year and a half I have become attached to my little Honda. The seats are a little rough for long rides and it is a bit noisy but remember this is a econo car.

Gas mileage, Honda reliability

Better support from the front seats, better radio/CD player

Great Car
By RhinoKing

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe w/Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best car I've owned. Honda continues to produce outstanding vehicles. So far I have only done regularly scheduled maintenance on this car. It's fun to drive and great on gas. I will definitely buy another Honda but it maybe a long long time before that happens since this car will probably last me a very long time.

Style, reliability, low cost of ownership, great gas mileage, hassle- free maintenance, etc, etc...

I wish Honda would come out with Civic Coupe hybrid.