Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 589 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Honda Civic 2003
By Inrm

2003 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2004 with 32,000 miles. It has now 150,000 miles and still runs GREAT. Fuel economy is awesome. I drive a lot and I've taken my car everywhere and we've never had a serious problem with it. Of course, we keep it well maintained. The most serious problem I've had with it, was when I had to replace a part of the engine that cost almost $1,000 dollars. we also had to replace the radiator, but this is a very reliable car. I love it!

Everything

A Convert
By Lockemup

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently purchased a 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid, though I had to get rid of my ever so fun to drive G35 the car is remarkable with respect to fuel efficiency. The layout of the car is simple, just like all Hondas. The power is on the low side, but lets face, we buy these cars for one reason and that's fuel economy. I wouldn't care if I had to get out and push the car up a hill (which it almost seems like I have to do living in Upstate NY), as long as I'm getting my 50 MPG let every other car pass me on the road. I'm purchasing a new set of Cooper GFE (LRR) tires and I'm hoping to eek out a few more MPG.

The one thing I find interesting is when the IMA system is engaged the estimate fuel economy drops. I would expect that when the electric motor kicks in the fuel economy would increase similar to other hybrids.

Honda Dependable
By Ray

2003 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Civic I have owned, my first was a '98. I bought a Civic for the 2nd time based on my first one; great fuel economy, reliability, and maintenance. Both of my Civics have given me 38-40mpg (mix of city and hwy driving) The only problem I have ever had was on my '98 civic was around 200k, when I had to replace spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap. ~$600. Otherwise, just regular care. Oil changes (every 5k) Tires (around 70k) and fluid flushes starting at 100k. I highly recommend a Civic, regardless what year. My 2003 Civic may be basic compared to a brand new car, but it does its job, and I'm very happy with it.

Mileage! I love laughing at my girlfriend when she tells me shes only getting 28 mpg in her brand new(2011) Fusion. 40 mpg with gas at $3/gallon is nice. Illuminated dash is super nice and sporty.

I wish it had bigger wheels. My Civic is equipped with 14" wheels. Looks small even on a smaller car. Wish they were stocked with "15.

The best car ever
By nick869

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

My honda is the best compact car that feels like I'm driving a sport. Safe, fun (drifting ha ha), and great fuel economy.

Handbrake and sporty look.

Still love my Civ
By Zigger1962

2003 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in July 2003, have put 110k miles on in the last 7 years. Perfect little car for a guy like me looking for a reliable economical commuter. 36- 38 mpg on 50 mile round trip commute. 2- 3 times a year I travel to Tennessee and I always get 41-43 mpg on the trip, traveling 75-80 mph. That makes me happy, has been fairly trouble- free. Shop been saying for the last 3- 4 years that the front struts need to be replaced, but way too expensive, letting it go for now. Had to have the thermal protector for the a/c compressor replaced, wasn't too expensive. Front brakes done last year, rear brakes still pass inspection. Due for the 110k timing belt replace ($$$) : ( but overall a great car!

Excellent gas mileage, overall reliability, good in Northeast snow. Great trunk space (my wife used to take my car shopping instead of the '02 Voyager we had !)

Never cared for the Grade Logic aspect of the tranny, will not upshift to high when going uphill, even when traveling fast enough that the engine power would pull it. Annoying when accelerating to 55+ up a long hill and it stays in 4th with RPM up over 3400 for no reason. Upshift already! sheesh!