Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 589 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Hybrid - great car
By G. Gagnon

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This is a great car - 45-52 mpg - original owner and I am very pleased. The downfall is the noise level, especially in the back seat. Seats could be a bit more plush also.

Reliability, durability and handling

Cut the noise level down and improve the seats - sore bottom at the end of a trip!

I love this Car
By melmar07

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I really love this car! I t is not good on Gas, it is Excellent! Better than non Hybrid Models. Those who saying about Hybrid Models, take it from me who owns one, THOSE ARE NOT TRUE!!! They just can't afford it or they just owned a hybrid lemon

Auto Stop, Leather seats (mine has one)

Trunk Pass Thru, Sunroof

Beware CVT Transmission
By hybrider

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car gets good gas mileage (43-45 mpg actual) but suffers from several flaws I see as related to being the first model year of a unique (hybrid) car. Recalls on the exhaust system software (that led to me having 2 catalytic converters replaced before corrected) and the transmission (CVT failed at 102k before Honda extended the warranty to 100k - gee, thanks for the $3800 bill-NOT) have shaken my confidence in Honda quality. My hybrid now has 130k miles and runs well with its new transmission, but I would by the Prius if I had it to do all over again. Acceleration is lacking, to the point of dangerous with 4 riders at highway speed, and overall rattles etc. are disappointing.

Gas mileage, roomy trunk.

Add cassette (not just CD), offer leather seats, improve acceleration, add more color choices for the hybrid, massively improve build quality. Add lifetime warranty on hybrid batteries.

Honda rating
By Honda Puss Man

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great mileage, great looks, reliable as all hell. Best car I have ever owned.

38 mpg Highway, 32 city. Moonroof, mag wheels, all over styling

Better radio - that's about it!!!

Heavenly Hybrid
By Kim

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

I bought this car, primarily for the "Green Factor," but I have been amazed how reliable it has been. Even now, I still get about 50 MPG on the highway, and I will never commute in anything else. Here in Virginia, hybrids bought before 2006 are allowed on the HOV lanes, which is an extra bonus. I will be driving this car until it will no longer run, which seems likely to be many years from now. Aside from a rattle in the dash that comes and goes, this car is quiet, smooth, and makes me feel a little like a race car driver with its quick shift 5-speed manual transmission. I love this car!

High gas mileage (I always feel like I am sticking it to OPEC every time I drive it). Gorgeous silver-blue paint. Great handling and roomy interior. Huge trunk for such a small vehicle. Four doors are oh, so convenient. Comfortable seats. Great sound and air conditioning and heater.

Lacks pick up in the mountains. Intermittent rattle in the dash is annoying.