Used 2003 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 589 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

What Happened To Honda?
By gliattitd

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 and it has been very reliable until it hit 100,000 miles. The transmission slips terribly, I took it to a service station and had it flushed thinking that would help but no such luck. The service manager said he's seen several Hondas with bad transmissions lately. My first Honda was good for 180,000 miles, died when I wrapped it around a pole.That's why I bought another one. But this one's transmission started acting up as soon as it hit 100,000 miles. What happened to you, Honda?

Easy on gas, zippy, very cute and I love the stereo.

Passenger window motor replaced twice & is acting up again. Work on transmissions & window motors. Glue that holds upholstery to your door would be nice. Mostly work on that TRANSMISSION!

JDM
By Al

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 03 civic it hasn't given any problem since i bought it i'm reaching the 80,000 mile mark and the car is still running great I've made significant performance upgrades to enhance my driving experience the car overall is great whether your just buying it as a regular day car or a tuner car. Hondas are great.

Vtec

More hp in stock engines, navigation.

It's OK but some issues
By gliattitd

2003 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The car has been very reliable. I have had to replace the driver's side window motor twice now, I hear others have this issue as well. Like some of the other reviewers, min is at 99,000 miles and my transmission is starting to act funny. I hope I don't have to replace like they did!

35 mpg isn't too shabby, love the radio, motorized side mirrors are very helpful when annoying guy gets behind you, tight radius is great, pretty reliable transportation

Window motor on drivers side, transmission, including me 3 people w/Civic have prob w/upholstery on back doors coming loose, shifter light shorts out. Drivers seat is uncomfortable for long period driving, give us some lumbar and some leg space.

best mileage out of a totally gas engine
By matt1689

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've got a 2003 honda civic ex coupe totally gas engine 1.7 L 5 speed i've got about $200 worth of upgrades in it, trust me its totally worth it.. I'm getting avg 44 mpg on the highway and 37 in the city, it's got a cold air intake with a ram air inductor new exhaust, came stock with 2 mufflers, now it has one straight pipe with one straight muffler, plus a small performance chip, i go within 3mph of the speed limit and when I'm coming up on a stop or going down hill i kick it into neutral. i can get between 550 and 650 miles per fill up depending on how i'm driving, i always fill up b4 the gas light comes one

replace the exhaust system, put a cold air intake with a ram air inductor and an Intake Air Temperature sensor chip, it'll cost around 200 for everything but the money you save in gas is well worth it

Really enjoyed this 2 door EX Coupe
By Dean

2003 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I had my Honda Civic for 5 years but just recently sold it so I could get a 4 door (got little kids). The car was very, very reliable and I only had a little over 51,000 miles on it. I never had any mechanical problems with it the whole time (knock on wood). I always changed the oil (myself) every 5,000 miles and made sure to change Air Filter (15,000 miles). I made sure to check the tires monthly as well. I got anywhere from 32-33 mpg around town with some highway driving. For straight highway trips I averaged around 36 on the last one. If you take care of this little baby it will take care of you. If you decide to sell your Civic, sell it out right as the dealerships will hose you.

The color, style, very sporty looking. Had a lot of get and go.

Seats weren't comfortable on long rides compared to the Accord. Would suggest they use that type.