Used 2002 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Reliable Car!!
By civicguy444

2002 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in 2002. I haven't wanted to part with it since then. Has been very reliable. I have just changed the usual things, such as tires, battery, etc. It still has the original brake pads. Stock tires weren't the greatest. I get about 40 highway MPG with 5 speed manual transmission, which I think is hard to beat!! Very happy with this vehicle. Wish all I have owned worked this well!

Reliability, Honda build quality, fuel efficiency, resale value can't be beat!

Better stock tires, AC on DX model, maybe ABS.

02 Civic coupe 5speed
By drew Kramer

2002 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car right when I got my license, and I love it. I have a low paying job and that really helps me because I only fill my tank once every 3 weeks. The engine is pretty weak, and with my 5 speed I really have to rev it pretty hard to get up to highway speed. It is fun to drive, pretty nimble with good handling. The stock speaker system isn't all that bad either. I think it was a perfect first car for me.

mpg, reliability, sporty-ish, styling, cost of ownership

I wish there was an ipod jack in the stock stereo.

Once Reliable... Now Not So Sure...
By Sean

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from my sister over 5 years ago (she bought it brand new). I've always been on time with the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any huge repairs other than the timing belt and water pump combo repair that cost about $1400. But NOW... some days when it starts, it will idle very rough and can barely climb hills. The engine seems to be misfiring even when I drive during any driving conditions. Brought it to the local shop and they can't find anything wrong. I feel very betrayed by my Civic just because I've always done the maintenance on time. Changed the spark plugs and ignition coils and still runs like garbage.

Fuel economy

Better trade-in value, I might not be considering another Honda...

Love it too much to give up!
By jess52006

2002 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 02 civic since it was brand new in 12/2001. I now have 104,000 miles on it. I love the 5 speed manual, makes it fun to drive. Only one major problem (brake booster $700 repair) since the few "new model quirks" were covered by original 3yr warranty. Average 38 mpg mixed driving. We have gone through 3 other cars in the life of this one and just can't give it up. I'll probably drive it until it dies (which could be another 200,000 miles!) Never once have had an oil change on time (like every 6,000 miles) and it's always at the correct level...even when I go wayyy over. :) I would recommend this car to anyone!

5 speed manual, surprisingly I like the manual door locks and windows (less to break!), GAS MILEAGE! Speakers are still kicking and sound pretty decent! Made it from WI to NC and back on 5-6 tanks of gas!

The original set of tires was AWFUL! (much better in snow/ice with good bridgestone's), pretty slow pickup with 5 people and a/c on... now a long term joke in our house.

LOVIN' My Civic
By HappyHondaOwner

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new, not a single repair. Still has original brake pads! Fantastic gas mileage, very fun to drive. Had to get aftermarket sound system as the factory version wasn't very good in 02. Planning to drive for 10 more years!

Gas mileage, gas mileage, and gas mileage