Used 2002 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Pseudo-Ode to My Honda
By Honda Honey

2002 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Civic you were not the best looking, fastest or not even that exciting, but you were dependable and you gave me a lot of miles off one tank of gas. You had to be pushed up even the small hills and the road and wind noise a nuisance, but you made every trip just fine. Your sound system was just there and comfort could have been better, but I still loved you and miss you to this day. But alas I will try something new and more exciting in the near future even though I will never forget you... the one who I could count on to cheerfully start each morning no matter what abuse I dished out.

Gas mileage, dependability, safety (held up well in the accident that totaled it).

Cramped interior (I am 5'2 and size 12... yikes) esp when I have grown up beside me, sound system, plastic wheel covers (do they qualify as hub caps), better brakes and better get and go (weakest 4 cylinder I ever had).

Very impressed
By phillyg_16

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my civic w/ 105k miles and have put 50k miles on it since. I love it. It handles very well in the snow (we get lots in MI), and gets great mileage (an average of 32 city & hwy). It's been very reliable. It blows my mind that it has 155k miles on it and it still drives like it's new. Plus, I put 12 gallons of gas in it and it takes me 400 miles.

5 spd transmission

The seatbelts don't lock very well and the steering wheel is starting to disintegrate. Also, the fabric on the doors and roof is coming unglued (but hey, it is 7 years old).

Near Best of the Best
By Paul

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 3 Honda's before this one, and this one tops them all. I bought this EX used and it has not had one single engine problem in 1 year. I am 5'11'' and it fits me like glove in front and back. Besides the manual clutch jamming very rarely, its a smooth ride. It is slightly loud on the road, but you learn to ignore it because it can keep up with any car on the road. On a trip to LA I drove 70 mph and got 33.33 MPG over 410 miles. When I drive slower I get about 35 mpg. This is a great reliable car! My next car will be a NEW civic whenever that day comes. :)

Interior is near chic -Civic is a compact car with everything a full size car has, just slightly smaller -Keyless entry/Car Alarm -Moon Roof/Sun Roof

The front headlight plastic covers fade too fast -CD player is very old

Honda Fan
By Asa in Atlanta

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Civic EX in Sept 2005 to replace my 1990 Civic EX that had been wrecked. The 2002 Civic had 85,800 original miles and now has 148,200 miles. I drive an average of 1800. This car has been excellent mechanically with no major problems. Gas mileage has been fabulous for an automatic: generally 33-34 in mixed driving. I averaged 36.5 on a 2500 mile trip in 2007 driving 65-70 mph. Only con is noise. I recommend putting premium tires on the Civic. My performance and handling greatly improved; the noise diminished as well.

The instrument panel is well laid out. Surprisingly, it was similar to the 1990 model that it replaced. We also have a 2002 Odyssey with a similar layout. Consistency breeds familiarity - nice. The sunroof is a nice feature.

Noise is a problem. I replaced the original tire with an econoline - mistake. The handling and noise were only fair. Then I put on premium M+S tires. Handling improved tremendously and the road noise abated. The same comment applies to our 2002 Odyssey.

Diamond in the Rough
By Sammy B

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new. Nothing bad except for my older brother tearing up the clutch after only 40,000 miles, but that's his fault not the car. This is car has so much potential no one knows about or understands. A lot of people think the civic is another foreign car thats saves gas. Did you know most of the parts on the civic are made in the US than there are on a cavalier? I don't think an American counterpart can compare to this vehicle. It may not be twin turbo-ed, or have a supercharger, but the VTEC can get the car to keep up with many others out there.

VTEC (even though its only an SOHC in my EX), availability for upgrades in performance and looks, via aftermarket, reliability.

Better sounds system from stock, standard alloys or wheel option (no hub caps), and should of have the HFP package available for the Sedan!