Used 2002 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great used car to buy
By Cain

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Obviously, fuel economy was a major factor when buying this car - 35mpg / 400+ miles on one tank!! The only dislikes I have are the location of the side-mirror controls (on the dash just left of the steering column - hard to get to without taking you eyes off the road); road noise all the time; and driver seat needs a longer armrest. Other than those items, I am very pleased with this CIVIC. Great resale value if I decide to sell of trade-in too...

Fuel Efficient, Low Maintenance, Roomy Backseat, and Lots of Room in the Trunk.

Needs a longer Driver-seat armrest, better placement for the side mirror controls, and some way to lessen the road-noise.

4 DR LX Sedan
By Jim

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car for the gas mileage and the reliability I thought Honda had. the car is easy to drive around town and is fairlly comfortable on long trips. The trunk lid kept coming open while you were driving down the road. You would have to stop on the side of the road and close it again. The biggest problem with the Civic is cost of repair. At 84,000 miles the transmission went out and put us on the side of the road. I had it towed in and repaired it for a cost of $3602.35. If you have anything break on a Honda Civic it is very expensive to repair.

The layout of the interior and the gas mileage

A little more power. With four people in the car you really get scared somes times when you need to speed up in trafic.

2002 Civic Review
By Jim Katso

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

After hearing how great Honda cars were, I decided to try one and have leased a Civic for 3 years. With my lease winding down, here are my thoughts: The engine is flawless, if I was a heavy commuter I would love the reliability and gas mileage. Though the engine HP isn't the greatest, nor is the car the most comfortable so its not like I would love to spend an hour in it each way without more power/comfort. It is very agile & would be great for city living with street parking. Problems that I have were more "annoyances" such as 1. Radio compartment door broke, 2. Airbag sticker fell off, 3. Plastic trim around both rear windows fell off, and as I got hit twice its bumpers are weak.

Excellent lines for economy car. Silver hides dirt very effectively. More space in back seat for legroom than one would expect. Cloth seats quality better than most. Moonroof is nice option.

More horsepower, better interior finish, more ergonomic placement of radio & temperature controls, improve the radio quality & layout.

My Civic makes me happy
By Fernando

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

A good car, no doubt. I did my research before buying and paid off. Except for one time when the car sort of fluked (I think it was Minnesota's harsh cold winter and snow), it runs smoothly as the day it was new. One thing I'm not sure about: I feel I don't get the mileage that other Civic drivers get. Winter mi/gal runs at about 25, and in the Spring/Summer is on the 32-36 range. Still, I'm planning on getting another Civic when I change this.

Nothing in particular. Cool design and reliability.

not that bad for a little car
By CommuterMan

2002 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I prefer larger cars, but living in the city and wanting something fuel efficient led us to get this Civic. After getting rid of the stock Firestones, this car is reasonably comfortable driving around town, has enough room to drop off the kids at school, and isn't embarrassing parked next to my boss' Mercedes. My gas mileage isn't as good as I expected, averaging 22 mpg, mainly because I have a short daily commute across town. However, on long drives to my in-laws, this baby get almost 40 mpg.

Everything works! Understated styling; the newer Civic is a bit too zoomy.

The headlights and instrument lighting could be brighter. The chrome trim on the edge of the hood isn't holding up too well. The trunk lid feels flimsy. Another 20 horsepower would make this car more fun to drive in the city and quieter on the highway.