Used 2002 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 337 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Honda Fan
By Asa in Atlanta

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 Civic EX in Sept 2005 to replace my 1990 Civic EX that had been wrecked. The 2002 Civic had 85,800 original miles and now has 148,200 miles. I drive an average of 1800. This car has been excellent mechanically with no major problems. Gas mileage has been fabulous for an automatic: generally 33-34 in mixed driving. I averaged 36.5 on a 2500 mile trip in 2007 driving 65-70 mph. Only con is noise. I recommend putting premium tires on the Civic. My performance and handling greatly improved; the noise diminished as well.

The instrument panel is well laid out. Surprisingly, it was similar to the 1990 model that it replaced. We also have a 2002 Odyssey with a similar layout. Consistency breeds familiarity - nice. The sunroof is a nice feature.

Noise is a problem. I replaced the original tire with an econoline - mistake. The handling and noise were only fair. Then I put on premium M+S tires. Handling improved tremendously and the road noise abated. The same comment applies to our 2002 Odyssey.

Diamond in the Rough
By Sammy B

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new. Nothing bad except for my older brother tearing up the clutch after only 40,000 miles, but that's his fault not the car. This is car has so much potential no one knows about or understands. A lot of people think the civic is another foreign car thats saves gas. Did you know most of the parts on the civic are made in the US than there are on a cavalier? I don't think an American counterpart can compare to this vehicle. It may not be twin turbo-ed, or have a supercharger, but the VTEC can get the car to keep up with many others out there.

VTEC (even though its only an SOHC in my EX), availability for upgrades in performance and looks, via aftermarket, reliability.

Better sounds system from stock, standard alloys or wheel option (no hub caps), and should of have the HFP package available for the Sedan!

A quality car
By rstuart

2002 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our Civic a year ago used and it has been such a quality car. We have the 5 spd and it regularly gets 30 mpg in the city. We have not had a single problem with the car and it is 6 years old already! The interior is high quality, especially considering this used to be Honda's entry-level car. Yeah, it isn't the most comfortable car to ride in or the most quiet, but after a while you don't notice it anymore, or you just naturally forgive the car because it takes care of you at the pump and by not breaking down. If there is one thing I would change on the car, it would be the A/C. It just can't cool the car down on a day when the temp is over 100 degrees. Our next car will be a civic!:)

MPG! Fun to drive, the energetic sound the engine makes, the high quality int, the driving position (it's just perfect for a 5'10'' guy), high resale value, RELIABILITY!

Not that I'm complaining but the ride and quietness could be improved, the outside styling (it's kinda bland). Again I can't complain...

02 Civic, best for this gas price
By HondaGuy

2002 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2yrs back, and driving 2000 miles a month on an average. And it meets my first criteria, be fuel economic. I was getting 33-34 mpg couple of months back, and now after the raise in gas prices I try to drive it efficiently and which gives me a 40-42 mpg. I have an ideal drive to work, in an almost empty highway. I haven't put much money on it, but never missed any regular maintenance appointments.

Fuel efficiency Compact, can sneak in any where.

A little too noisy inside. Steering is a bit tight, I guess Honda might have fixed this in their later versions. A bit more stuff in dash.

Honda = Chrysler now
By Honda NoGood NoMore

2002 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new with 6 miles on it and drove it for 5 years (80,000) miles. Reliability and Honda service was terrible. At 35,400 miles, third gear synchro went out on manual transmission. I have been driving manuals for 25 years and I have a CDL and I never burned out a clutch or damaged a tranny. Fixed under warranty but never shifted right again (grinded and clunked when going into gear) and shifter was VERY stiff and VERY difficult to down shift. Took back 4 times and dealer said it was fine!? Called Honda Corporate and wrote letters, no help at all. All 4 struts went out at 40,000 miles too ($1300). Road noise terrible, factory tires rated worst on tirerack and hydroplaned very badly.

Gas Mileage. I averaged around 37 in mixed driving! 40.5 on highway, 35 in town. Also, the trunk is huge and with fold-down seats, you can haul almost as much as an SUV.

Replace flimsy brass synchros in manual transmission with stronger material. Redesign struts - these should not fail at 40,000. Extend Warranty to 60,000 (hey Honda, put your money where your mouth is). Most American car manufacturers are offering 60,000 and 100,000 mile warranties now.