Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love this car!
By Heidi

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2003 at a Ford Dealership. It was so cute. It is fun to drive, and have had NO mechanical failures. The only thing is that it goes through headlights about 4 times a year. Also, other vehicles have no respect for this little beauty. Every day, some one is cutting me off. Best car I have ever owned, I will definitely buy another Honda. My VIN begins with a 1, so it was made in America, my friend's Ford was made in Canada...go figure. Husband prefers driving it just because of the gas mileage.

Cute, sporty, great gas mileage, love the sun/moon roof,

Trunk opener on the remote

2001 Transmissions Have Ruined Honda
By tmspiege

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I received this car willed from my great-uncle and have treated it well for 6.5 years. I've been diligent in regular maintenance. Then, out of the veritable blue, my transmission suffered a catastrophic failure en route to work two days ago. The auto tranny would not engage into gear and the engine would simply tach up with no acceleration when I hit the gas. I called Honda USA to get them to extend a goodwill repair to me, but they are refusing. I'm looking at a $2000 repair for a manufacturing defect...and Honda's not willing to admit the mistake or provide the customer support to alleviate the cost to me. 2001 transmissions across every model have been notorious for this sudden failure.

Make a reliable transmission and provide adequate customer support to those suffering with a defective vehicle.

Best Car Ever!
By 2001 Honda Civic A++

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used about five years ago with 42,000 mi. I now have 172,000 miles and it is still going strong. I have delivered pizzas in it for almost five years, and have driven it to 40 states, some more than once. I did have some major transmission problems at about 140,000 miles and had to pay $1750 to fix (I hear this is a common problem with this model year). Besides this though, I have NEVER had to fix ANYTHING apart from normal maintenance (tires, brakes, battery, spark plugs). And I mean NOTHING. It has never left me stranded- even when the tranny went out it made it to the mechanic. This car also gets GREAT gas mileage- between 35-40 mpg. You can't do much better than this car!

Excellent gas mileage, easy to drive, low maintenance cost, very roomy for a small car, fun to drive.

Seems like a lot of people have had the same problems with the transmission- gets dents and dings easily, a little bit noisy to drive, suspension weakens quickly, instrument panel is a bit dim.

Tranny Woes
By DAWN

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Buyer beware. I have a 01 Honda Civic with 54,000 miles. Bought it new. It is certainly not an an abused car with about 8,000 yr average miles, far less than the standard 12-15,000 a year. I have maintained my car, had an extended warranty for 3 more years. Isn't it funny how cars are built to collapse right after the warranty! My trany just blew and I have to spend $2,500 out of my own pocket. This happened to another friend of mine at about the same amount of mileage.

Good on gas

My 3rd Honda Civic
By sunshinedaydream95

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I first had a '93 Civic coupe that lasted me 8 long years, then an '04 Civic hybrid, and now I bought this one in March '07. I bought it used with 72K miles on it, and I now have about 84K. When I bought it, I put new tires on it, new alignment, new water pump, and new timing belt. It has run perfectly the entire time I've had it.

Reliability - this is my 3rd Honda and my next one will probably be one too. Gas mileage is great, and I'm very familiar with all the controls and such inside. I really like the sound system - factory sounds great. I like the cupholders much better...these ar built-in vs. cheap pop-ups in my '03.

In my '93 & '01 Civics, they've both had trunk leaks. The one in my '01 started about 4 or 5 months after I got it. It's bad b/c I can't really use the trunk unless I don't mind stuff getting wet. Also the power windows stick badly-can't roll the drivers's side all the way down or it will stick