Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Sudden Transmission Failure
By Terminator

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this coupe brand new. After 107K while driving at 75 mpg on the interstate, car lost acceleration suddenly and engine just rev. Auto trans failed without warning and almost got into a big accident as truckers frantically maneuvered to avoid hitting me. Honda's are supposed to be reliable but a complete transmission failure without prior indication of such is a safety issue. Also, the necessity of a complete transmission replacement or overhaul instead of just a torque converter and a trans oil pump replacement is a bit stupid design. Never buying another Honda again. Hyundai here I come.

Transmission design

Great car for the price
By jurrylu

2001 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car stock for under 4g back in 08 with 60k miles. I drove over 40k on it so far and no problems at all. I drive the hell out of it too, doing stuff like burnouts and dumping the clutch. First gear and second gears are really fast, but 3 and 4 are useless for acceleration. And to be doing 80 on the highway in 5th gear it will rev pretty high into the 4000's. The engine gets pretty loud at high revs just the way I like it, the car it self is actually very quiet inside. Bottom line: not the fastest or most stylish of cars, but it gets the job done at a good price and almost free maintenance!

cheap fold down back seats extend trunk space easiest manual to drive light clutch and steering wheel

vtec engine. not this weird 1.7 L crap

Horrible Honda
By Ray

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

The only thing good about this Honda is the mileage. I bought it new in 2001, and will never buy another Honda. Air dam fell off until I finally threw it away. Gas filler mechanism fell apart within 2 weeks. Drivers power window fails to go up when it rains. replaced wheel bearing at 40,000, engine mount at 50,000, headliner fell down around 50,000, left control arm at 65,000,rear defroster doesn't work, Manual transmission needs overhauled at 90,000. Right control arm is also shot at 90,000. This car has been nothing but a mechanical money pit. Worst new car I have ever bought. Don't buy the Civic.

Gas mileage is great

Fix the mechanical problems. May need to start over with this car

Love this car more than the Acura I had
By gem of a car

2001 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 60,000 miles. I was a student and couldn't afford a car that needed a lot of repairs - - this car has exceeded my expectations. Nothing has gone wrong with it and it still gets as good as mileage as when I first bought it (35 mpg). I keep waiting for the clutch to get old but it hasn't. I've replaced timing belt, tires, and brake pads. It's a beautiful car, MUCH prettier than Prius. The original paint job is really well done. Attractive dash. I've driven up & down hilly San Francisco, around town, and across the country. I only wish there were more models of Honda with such an attractive body.

mileage, exterior design, reliability, interior design, trunk, moon roof, large trunk, alarm system

It's a little bumpy and noisy when driven over 70 mph. I don't like driving it in high winds.

It's my baby
By Dallas Beaumont

2001 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a private seller with 84,000 miles on it, little did I know that the car sustained sub- frame damage but was corrected. My transmissions clutch started to go at 125,000, but that was because the previous owner drove it hard and didn't take care of it. Other than that, this car rocks. I get 45 miles to the gallon and the interior is soft and sleek. This car is extremely reliable and the engine purrs quietly like its brand new and drives like its new. Make sure to replace all the engine and timing belts for long lasting performance. Switch to Mobile 1 synthetic blend. I own an automatic, buyer beware! 2001 was not the best year for this transmission. Go with a manual.

Reliability, its comfortable, a lot of leg room for tall people. Gas mileage is awesome and its great fro driving in snow. Go front wheel drive!

Horsepower.