Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Vehicle But Now Uses Some Oil
By davewdmia

2001 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

The only complaint I have now is that my vehicle now has 130K miles on it, and I have to add about 2 tenths of a quart of oil to it every 2 weeks or so.
It never used to use any oil, and does not appear to be leaking any oil onto the driveway, so I am unsure where it is leaking, or if it is using oil.
No apparent leakage from the valve cover gasket either.
If a reader knows about oil leaks with this vehicle, please respond to my ad.
Otherwise, this has been the most dependable vehicle I have owned, with little maintenance.

My Honda Civic was a great buy with 51K miles on it for $6750. I had to add cruise control for another $450. Great winter handling and good acceleration. Much better acceleration than the Toyota Corolla, but not quite as good of gas mileage as the Corolla. I owned a 1988 Corolla with 212K miles on it that finally gave out.

Front end makes some popping noises when I hit bumps, but recently replaced some parts on the front end.

Nice car
By joe

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Civic with 40k on it. I had to replace the headliner because it was sagging. I am a hated car salesman so I do get a big break on items I also replaced struts a few and cabin filter. The car does very well in the snow and gas mileage is excellent. I paid 5500 for it. I will replace timing belt soon. I am very happy with this car

Air conditioning and low maintenance

Arm rest, seat adjustment up and down feature

She's Been Great to Me
By ReviewGUY2010

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car Used had about 50K miles. Been great since. Its fun. Gets Good miles. Easy to fix. and shes running great. had her for over 5 Years and haven't spent much on fixing anything. just Brakes. Wipers. Headlights. small stuff. Overall GREAT BUY!

Manual Transmission Easy to drive.

A lil more Rear space. and Better Springs.

Decent car but safety hazard without ABS
By bruce

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is an OK car but feels a little tin canny and like a go-cart (not in a good way). My major complaint is braking on wet pavement or lack thereof. This car will go into a slide every time. And this is with brand new tires. ABS is a must. No way I'm letting my kids use this car unless I know it'll be dry outside. It even spins out when accelerating lightly on wet roads. You really have to baby it. If it has to climb while doing so forget about it. Another complaint is that the headliner fell apart at about 100k.

Nice looking car. Not much maintenance required so far although the timing belt replacement was not inexpensive at about $500. But you can't skip it because of the interference head.

ABS is mandatory on such a light car. I'd replace the car if I could afford to.

212k, still going, but not cheap
By Racerxmachv3000

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car new to commute 80 miles a day. Overall its been a good car, but over the course of the last year, I've spend at least the value of the car in repairs to keep it on the road. It's needed a new manifold (cracked at 70k), radiator, shocks, springs, bushings, end links, manual transmission, on top of the maintenance items like brakes and tires. I've also had a recurring problem with the spark plug coils that blow fairly regularly, however my mechanic has been able to replace this under his warranty. The motor still runs like new or close to it so I've continued pouring into the car since I have a hard time justifying a new car with such a long commute.

mileage, average around 33. interior room, nice motor but not easy to add after market parts on the LX version

stronger transmission, better suspension parts