Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 279 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

01 Civic Coupe
By Jesse

2001 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I drive a lot. This car is great for a person who does so. The few problems I have run into are... seeing the "blind" spot - the pillar is in the way for a head check; uphill power with the automatic tranny - have to put it into passing gear; space inside - always bumping elbows; boring - it's a car that is really nothing special; not enough places to stash your stuff like sunglasses etc. The upside... it's inexpensive to own. 30+ mpg, low cost to buy. It was just as expensive to insure as my 2001 4x4 Tacoma which I thought was odd. Overall, I wish I had bought something with more personality even if it had cost a few bucks more.

Gas mileage. Reliability.

Make this car more interesting! It needs an updated dash. Re-gear the automatic version to handle hills better.

Good commuter
By HXowner

2001 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Although I rarely get advertised 39/44 city/h-way mileage, it consistently provides more than 30 mpg without noticible lack of power. Going to the hills is another subject though... Handles nice and very nimble. Haven't had any mechanical failures yet, but been having problems with warping rotors. Dealer insists that it is my driving, but when it consistently happens in less than 8,000 mile interval on the same wheel, I suspect the otherwise. But there isn't a sure way to prove it... Overall, a great performer for what it's worth. So far it only consumes gas, oil, air and break lining.

Clutch and shifting mechanism... Car shifts nice and crisp out of factory and cluth is very precise.

Different tires would be nice. I changed tires after reading horrible reviews and it makes a world of difference. Perhaps it should have been so from the factory. Further more, how about a bit lower profile tires?

Can't go wrong!
By Johnny

2001 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for about 5 months, it's been nothing but reliable for me! Oh and it gets 44MPG! Recommended over any hybrid that will cost you thousands more!

Gas mileage

More frills.

Happy I did it....
By AL_Va

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

First Honda I had purchased and I love it! Have owned Chevy and Ford small cars and this Civic outclasses them all - by a wide gap. I really like that the car is still worth something after having it for a while. I would definately buy another and recommend one to others. My wife likes to drive it too. I am 6'3" and fit into it okay. I commute a lot and the fuel economy is excellent!I bought it to commute and that it does that very, very well.

fuel economy and good looks

Defroster operation without the "forced on" AC on would be nice. Let me choose to use the AC or not!

DRIVE ON
By NASAGUY

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great fuel economy even for a lead foot. I drive 80 mph 195 mile round trip 5-6 days per week. The car has 207,000 miles. Just had second timing belt installed which included water pump, ouch $$$. The first time didn't include water pump. This vehicle still has the original brakes and clutch, so I’ve saved $$$ there. Suspension has been repaired with aftermarket parts, as further adjustment wasn't available to maintain camber. This car loves tires, Michelins have held up the best over firestone and Goodyear, so that's what I’ll put on next. At 6'5" 290 lbs I fit better than any other small car. A center armrest would have made this a luxury car for me.

Well, this is an economy car. Not a car would have purchased, say, if I only lived 10 miles from work? Ok, reliability, function and fuel economy.

Stronger suspension for road warriors, hey, isn't that why most people by a small car, long commutes? A center armrest could save me some neck & shoulder problems. The passenger seat is a little too high for an armrest. Better fuel economy can't be too hard. 1970's Datsun got 40mpg, of course 50 hp.