Used 2001 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

i thought honda's were built to last
By hilary

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not very comfortable to drive. i bought it for it's reliability. you can feel every bump on the road and it definately does not go fast. just at the 4 year mark and 45000 miles the air conditioner died. i've had many other cars that never needed a new air conditioner and were much older. after reading other reviews i decided to dump this car. leased a new vw and surprise the warranty is a whole year longer. it is no wonder honda warranty ends at 3 years. i am now a much happier driver and do not feel every bump. i now have a lot more features too.

increase speed. make it more stable, so every bump is not felt. increase warranty to 4 years. add heated seats. add daytime running lights.

Fantastic car!
By Sonia

2001 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

My boyfriend and I just bought this car a few months ago, and we LOVE it. We both have older cars (him, a '67 Chevy; me, an '86 Volvo) that we love dearly, but this car takes the cake. It's very reliable, fun to drive, comfortable even for very tall people, and is very well designed, inside and out. We get about 33 mpg city and 40 highway, which is a huge money-saver. Parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to find, and the car is pretty easy to work on.

For a small car, it's wonderfully roomy and has tons of trunk space. The control panel is very convenient. Almost everything is easy to work on.

The oil filter needs to be moved. It's in an odd location and makes a mess when removed.

Happy I did it....
By AL_Va

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

First Honda I had purchased and I love it! Have owned Chevy and Ford small cars and this Civic outclasses them all - by a wide gap. I really like that the car is still worth something after having it for a while. I would definately buy another and recommend one to others. My wife likes to drive it too. I am 6'3" and fit into it okay. I commute a lot and the fuel economy is excellent!I bought it to commute and that it does that very, very well.

fuel economy and good looks

Defroster operation without the "forced on" AC on would be nice. Let me choose to use the AC or not!

DRIVE ON
By NASAGUY

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great fuel economy even for a lead foot. I drive 80 mph 195 mile round trip 5-6 days per week. The car has 207,000 miles. Just had second timing belt installed which included water pump, ouch $$$. The first time didn't include water pump. This vehicle still has the original brakes and clutch, so I’ve saved $$$ there. Suspension has been repaired with aftermarket parts, as further adjustment wasn't available to maintain camber. This car loves tires, Michelins have held up the best over firestone and Goodyear, so that's what I’ll put on next. At 6'5" 290 lbs I fit better than any other small car. A center armrest would have made this a luxury car for me.

Well, this is an economy car. Not a car would have purchased, say, if I only lived 10 miles from work? Ok, reliability, function and fuel economy.

Stronger suspension for road warriors, hey, isn't that why most people by a small car, long commutes? A center armrest could save me some neck & shoulder problems. The passenger seat is a little too high for an armrest. Better fuel economy can't be too hard. 1970's Datsun got 40mpg, of course 50 hp.

Great Student Car
By kSpriss

2001 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good first car. I bought it off a family member. Fuel economy is EXCELLENT, highway driving can see upwards of 45 MPG. The engine is weak at low RPMs, and passing power isn't the greatest. This isn't too big a deal for a relatively gentle driver for myself. Steering is EXCELLENT; the car is very nimble and easy to steer, with a very logical and intuitive feel to the wheel. I always feel in control of the car.

Fuel economy, space (for economy car), steering, transmission, climate control system, looks.

ABS isn't available on LX. 2001 Body trim has some interior trim problems (door panels, rattles) and the seats are very hard. Honda fixed these by the 2003 model.