Used 2001 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 278 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Honda Delivers
By Eden_Fire

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I got 90,000 miles on my civic, bought it with 52,000. I have had NO mechanical problems, just brakes and tires. Change oil every 3k, rotate tires every 6k. Clutch is still going strong with no sign of backing down. 35 mpg in the city, 42 on highway. Do the maintenance recommended and you will have a car that you will get your money's worth out of. The ONLY thing that has gone out is the power door locks on the driver's side, but not a big deal.

Stereo system set up w/tweeters (was replaced but locations are nicely done). Gas mileage, moonroof, ease to work on. RELIABLE!!!

Altered intake system provides some issues with strut bars under the hood, but no big deal. More speakers, also a passenger arm-rest. I also would like it if the steering wheel could be up a little higher, my knee hits the wheel sometimes when I clutch out.

Problems, problems problems....
By nicoleb

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I wrote an article a year ago or so, but i really want to warn anyone looking into buying this year of civic. Dont. This car is not abused but somehow i have managed to go through 3 sets of struts, new wheel bearings, a new front bushing, my air conditioning is going out, the TRANNY BLEW @ 100k that alone was $2000, the air bags suddenly stopped working, it sputters at stop lights. I have two loans out on this car. one for the actual car and one to fix it, and I am only one of the few that this happened to and i am mad. if i can persuade just ONE person to rethink buying one, i will be at least partially satisfied...

V-Tec motor, sun roof, stylish, price is great

suspension and tranny are garbage

116k and still going
By KevinML

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased my Civic 2/04 w/42,995 miles. Been very reliable and great on gas, I get 37MPG overall. Change oil w/Mobil 1 synthetic and rotate tires every 3k religiously. Dealer for other scheduled maintenance according to manual. Very meticulous. Now I need new cat converter, new electronic load distributor and new seal for manifold leak. Total $2k. In addition I need new strut up front (replaced once when I bought car). Just as a warning to others. I didn't see these repairs noted in other reviews. This is first time car has needed serious repair. Overall, still a great car.

Reliable, great on gas, handles well. Great car for the $$

Better insulate from road noise. Rotors need to be machined every 25k. my '95 VX seems to have been built better and more reliable (if that is possible!)

Most Overrated Car on the road! Really.
By godawgs2008

2001 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car brand new for my daughter's 16th birthday. Why, because I wanted the very best reliability for the money. It was a slam dunk according to "everyone". "What a long, strange trip it's been"... Reliability issues, one after another. Failed auto Door locks. Failed power windows. Failed front and rear struts. Failed transmissions (if this has not happened to you yet, be patient it will. It is a manufacturing defect. Leaky/noisy sun roof Could have bought a Cavalier for this.

Fuel economy Hype, which keeps the resale value artificially high.

Go back to the drawing board. Like most everyone else, learn from Toyota.

Terrible Suspension and Transmission
By Brian

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Honda should recall this vehicle. Mine has been in the shop about 40 times and it keeps on having to go back in for suspension issues. Also my transmission was replaced under warranty with only 50,000 miles on it. In my opinion worst Civic made.

Gas mileage, cargo space.

Transmission, suspension. Reliability overall its supposed to be a Honda not a Ford.