Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

I'll keep it until the wheels fall off
By BustedFlush

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Has it been 10 years? I used to live very close to work, so my Civic only has 95,000 miles on it. Had to replace the exhaust line (Ohio winters mean salt trucks) but otherwise no serious issues. Had the fuel filter replaced, new plugs, timing belt and a tune up around 85,000. Someone asked me why I buy cars (depreciating asset) instead of leasing - this is why. Mechanic says this car is just getting warmed up and I haven't had a car payment since 2003.

Utterly reliable.

Would it kill Honda to put decent speakers in a car? This is the EX which has the better sound system and the speakers were still crap.

99 Civic Lx
By CarGUy

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Great car so far, no problems what so ever. Added some upgrades and have turned this blah looking car into something real cool to look at and drive, really a chick car but worth the money for a reliable small car.

Believe it, this car is very comfortable

Nothing really

Great Car
By B Becket

1999 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

When gas prices approached $4.00 a gallon with no end in sight decided to get a car that would get better gas mileage than my Tundra. After doing some research on various makes and models of cars I decided on getting a used Honda Civic. I purchased a 1999 Honda Civic with 112,000 miles on it in May of '08. I drove the car from California to Utah and got 39 mpg consistently. Around town the car has averaged between 27 and 32 mpg. From all I've read and heard about the Honda Civic I'm convinced it's one of the most reliable and cost efficient cars you can own. Solid, reliable, and economical describes the Honda Civic.

Gas mileage, reliability, economical to operate and maintain.

None

Amazing First Car
By Hyduk87

1999 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

My first car. Now that doesn't mean I haven't seen many cars, or experienced many. I've driven quite a few, I've never actually purchased one myself though. But, as for this 99 Civic, I can tell you, even with the problems I got with the car, this is still great. First, the problems. I got the car used, 103k miles. The dash lights won't turn on anymore (my guess is someone messing with the stereo didn't disconnect the battery and fried my instrument panel) but all other electrical stuff works great! Also, the car was tuned a little bit, low ride height and sports suspension. Makes for a bumpy ride and frame damage going over big bumps or steep driveways.

Now, the good: The car gets GREAT gas mileage, even for an automatic; I'm averaging 35, with most in the city, so above estimates. Performance - for a small engine, 120 or so hp (added air intake and exhaust systems) this car can zip around really well. The interior is well done as well.

Well, the dash is pretty plain, I may be upgrading that to fix it. The exterior black right around the window is flaking away, seems to happen on every Civic I've seen. But really, it's Honda. Cheap to fix, runs great, awesome MPG, great installed stereo and PLENTY of upgrade options.

As good as it gets!
By Noles

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This is a flat out great car. Unmatched reliability for a great price. I have only 84,000 miles on mine and each time I think about getting a new car, I just think about how little it cost me to own this car and I keep it. I get between 300-330 miles between fill-ups and I have never had any problem with the car. Just had routine maintenance done.

moon roof

a little more head room for us tall people!