Used 1999 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Big Mistake
By Ginger

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I owned an 87 Honda Civic for 11 years without one single problem...so of course I wanted another. This one is the lemon of the bunch. I've had nothing but problems. It's been in the shop with the oxygen sensor from day one and the service technicians can't get it fixed, I'm on my 3rd transmission...the first one had to be replaced at only 9,000 miles and the third one doesn't seem to be doing well and my air conditioning had to be replaced at 18,000 miles. This car has nickled and dimed me to death. I think I got one that was made in the USA. I'm officially done with Honda.

Gas mileage

Fix the oxygen sensor, transmission and air conditioning.

I love this car
By jms

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my grandma after she had it for 4 years. I have spent a bit on it replacing the exhaust system (from sitting in a parking lot for 4 years and not being driven when my grandma owned it), but it has been reliable for me the entire time I have had it. I have had to put virtually no money in this car and it always seems to run perfectly!

Roomy trunk, very reliable, low maintenance, good gas mileage (roughly 33mpg +/-), nothing to complain about.

My car came with basic AM/FM radio. A CD player or cassette deck would have been a nice feature.

The Gold Standard
By RT

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I adore my Civic. The ride is smooth and enjoyable; shifting is a piece of cake (I have a manual); while not powerful, it will give you a kick to pass someone if need be. Not a lot of frills, but utterly reliable. We're at 156k miles, and I imagine my toddler inheriting it when he's driving age! Take care of your Honda--follow maintenance schedule, change the oil, fill it with Chevron, Shell, etc.--you're in for a treat. And did I mention that I consistently get 37-38 mpg in mixed city driving? Incredible. Who needs a Prius?

Manual trans, upholstery, mpg, dash

None. Did I mention I love this car?

Awsome Vehicle
By BigNate

1999 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan

I recently purchased this car, I have owned many, many Hondas/Acuras and they build a very nice car. My new 99 ex sedan has always had its routine services, and always done by certified Honda Techs. and you can tell it. It's ten years old, but looks amazing inside and out. Has a auto trans and shifts smooth, and rides nice. As long as you do the necessary work when it needs to be done, this car, along with all the other Hondas, will last a very, very long time.

Smooth ride, gas mileage, reliability, low cost of services, cheap parts, and the great work that Honda puts into their cars. That's why they last like they do.

The single cam engines lack performance, but, they have great gas mileage, so its worth the sacrifice. It just seems the single cams barely have enough power to move the car.

99 Civic Lx
By CarGUy

1999 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Great car so far, no problems what so ever. Added some upgrades and have turned this blah looking car into something real cool to look at and drive, really a chick car but worth the money for a reliable small car.

Believe it, this car is very comfortable

Nothing really