Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Civic LX best engineered car I have ever seen.
By hans_pcguy

1999 Honda Civic VP 4dr Sedan

I was a mechanic previously. I bought a 1999 Civic new when I worked as a process server in Boston MA. I drove 200 mi per day for the first year. I got in a total accident with 2,400 miles on the car and the insurance wouldn't replace it. They paid more than new car price fixing it. I kept it. It now has 230k mi. Not only have I never had problems with it, as a mechanic I do my own maintenance. It is the easiest car I have ever worked on. Front brakes take me 15 minutes. The only work that was at all difficult for me was timing belt (the crank pulley bolt is hard to get loose.) With 230k miles I still only have to change oil (synthetic every 5 to 8k miles) never need to add oil!

I like the comfort. I got the LX which has power everything except seats. Drivers seat has many adjustments. This is as comfortable on long drives as a full sized car. I have driven it cross country several times and no problem with fatigue.

I would make the transmission adjustable as in when it shifts and how it shifts. The automatic trans is set up for performance. I would rather have economy.

Good Car
By stevie11

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I have used this car for a commuter car and put over 100k on it in the last 3 years.
It now has 210k on it, it has been bullet proof.
A couple minor things go wrong but for a 13 year old vehicle you can't beat it.

I Love Everything About This Car
By maddogca

1999 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

It was my very first car in high school and it has been in the family since my dad bought it brand new. This car was probably the best car I have ever owned! The vehicle is so reliable that you have to try really hard to destroy these things. The seats are so plush and so comfortable, if I ever buy a car with cloth seating, it would be that car! The gas mileage is also quite impressive on these cars. Why I ever got rid of it, I will never know.

Long time used civic owner
By jjefrench

1999 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned Honda Civics for 13 years.
My first one was a 1990 and now I have the 1999, which I have owned for 8 years.
It is a Civic LX automatic.
Green.
The mileage I had on it when I got it was 70,000.
Now there are 150,000.

I have spent more money on repairs for this car than the 6,500 it cost to purchase it.
I am angry at the car for this purpose.
At least three times something caused me to break down in the middle of the road.
I have treated it well and it has not been reliable.
I would love to sell it just because of the frustrations I have had over the years.

My advice is, if you buy a civic, make sure you know its history. I did not know the history of this one except that it was a leased car. I imagine those are not often treated for longevity by someone who knows they will be giving it back. Once the fixes started, they didn't stop and it was always something new and strange.

226K, super reliable, cheap to own and sporty around corners!
By danwat1234

1999 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

The 6th gen Honda Civics have supreme reliability, and good gas mileage (http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic). It does as well or better than my mother's 2012 Elantra! I am the 3rd owner and has 226,000 miles on it, mostly highway. Automatic 4-speed transmission, d16y7 engine. The coolant system has a very very slow leak it in it somewhere but everything else is absolutely perfect with this car.
Supreme reliability, great suspension, handles really good after installing a rear sway bar and 205/50/R16 tires.

I love that this car is so versatile. I plan on installing a trailer hitch so I can tow small trailers with this car too! This car has supreme usefulness.

I am very happy that the components under the hood are not tightly packed like newer cars. I was able to add a complete train horn system including the air compressor, 2 gallon air tank and the horns all under the hood and inside the front bumper. There were even pre-drilled holes on the sides of the rails just inside the hood to knit all my zip ties through to secure the components! Awesome. The double wishbone suspension is very nice, especially with the help of good tires and a beefy rear sway bar bought on Ebay. The rear bumper's support beam has lot of pre-drilled and smoothed holes so I could mount a genuine train bell in under there with Zip ties! It's a crazy easy moddable car.

Wish my car had a drivetrain like this;;; Direct Injection Auto start/stop Electrical system recuperation (what Buick calls E-assist) Cylinder deactivation Lean burn (if emissions can stay low enough, like the Civic HX) A-VTEC (advanced VTEC) Atkinson valve behavior when engine load is low for more MPG (Honda Earth Dreams engines) Have dashboard illumination lights be more accessible for replacing. Have audio-in jack built into radio. Have paddle shifters so I can shift early to save gas. Have the transmission lock up in more gears than just 3rd (at about 66MPH) and 4th (at about 53MPH) for more MPG. Better interior lighting (too dim) and have a trunk light. Had to mod up lights myself.