Used 1999 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 170 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Honda Civic will stay with us
By Bob

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

We've owned 8 new Honda vehicles over many years. Right now we own a 2002 CRV and our trusty 1999 Civic with 105,000 miles on the odometer. This Civic runs as well now as it day on day of delivery and we are constantly amazed at the high quality of Honda products. Although we really like the new 2007 Civic, we cannot think of one reason to let our 1999 go. We change the oil(s) and do regular maintenance on this Honda as we've done on all of our others which have NEVER failed us.

Fit and finish. Reliability. Fuel economy.

Not too bad
By Thomas

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

So far i've put 5k miles on the car in the last 4 months. The gas mileage is awsome, i've been averaging 29-30mpg and i'm an aggressive driver. I"m more interested in performance and sportyness ratehr than comfort but this car does a little of both. I drove it on a 6hr trip and I was fine. There is quite a bit of road noise that could be delt with by adding some more insulation to the car, theres only a couple squares of foam in the floor. The car is light and handles very well. The engine is kinda sad but Honda has managed to get well within the 100hp/L, something most american cars never achieve. The stereo isn't all that great and the quality of the interior components aren't very good.

Car will never break down. Economy, nible in tight corners, engine sounds good at high revs, good exterior styling, very practicle with fold down rear seat and large trunk, very easy to find performance mods for this car.

make DOHC standard, less road noise, stadnard 4 wheel ABS. Torquier engine, wider tires (easily looses traction on rough pavement),low quality interior (paint wearing off buttons, tabs breaking off lids and panels, fuse box lid always breaks off), better stereo, boring grey interior.

Great little car
By KOby

1999 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought it new in '99 and it continues to get the job done with only a few minor repairs along the way. It is not powerful but with a manual transmission it can get out of its own way. The lacks of power is made up for with MPGs. It is sporty for an economy car, looks good inside & out, and is well built-- it doesn't feel cheap. The folding rear seat makes it suprisingly useful, I can put my mountain bike in the back and even Home Depot trips. It's good in the snow with low torque & FWD- decent all season tires have gotten me through several bad NJ winters Drawbacks: wind & road noise, reverse hard to engage, weak A/C, takes forever to warm up in the cold, unsupportive seats

Many standard features (pwr windows, doors, mirrors), fun to drive, great gas milage, sunroof, folding rear seat, styling, reliability, build quality excellent for a sub compact

I replaced my seats with Honda Del Sol seats, much better. Handeling can be impoved, I added: rear anti-roll bar (turns better), front strut bar (tighter steering), shocks & springs (firmer ride, less body roll), wheels & tires (more grip) Stereo is garbage and should be thrown away.

Great for Getting to School or Work
By Jim Bullard

1999 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

This red '99 Honda Civic has been great fun to drive. It gets about 30 Mile/Gal, and has a new transmission and A/C compressor. Most of my driving has been to get to college, get to work and socially around town. Hardly any highway driving

A/C works very well and very good turning radius.

Needs more interior room.

love my civic
By Tiffany T

1999 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

OK.... with over 200,000 miles on my civic, I could not ask for a better car. Never had anything major ever go wrong with it.... and going to keep driving it!

nice small car, great gas price

Cup holders are a terrible design! And my power locks stopped working. Have to replace muffler a lot, don't know if that is from being in New York's extreme climate.