Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Most Reliable Car Ever Made!!!
By INVNTDTHWHL

1998 Honda Civic HX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1998 Honda Civic HX brand new and have been driving it ever since. I have taken moderate care of it over the years and it doesn't matter. It just keeps going strong. Honda must have made these cars for people like me who wait a few extra thousand miles to change their oil and rarely look under the hood. I call my Honda "The Mule" because you can beat the hell out of it and it will get you to work the next day no matter what. Never had a problem and will surely buy a Honda the next time around.

Simplicity. No bells and whistles. Power windows, door locks, steering, mirrors, etc. and cold AC and nothing else. Keeping it simple kept this car going without a hickup for the last 11 years.

I'm sure Honda has come up with some new stuff for the Civic since 98 but I didn't miss anything.

This car is indestructible
By CP

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

My 98 Civic is the best car I've ever had, and when (if) it eventually dies there is no way I'll consider anything else but another Civic. I have driven this thing into the ground and it has never had the slightest problem. 169,000 miles on it so far, and it looks its age, but it NEVER GIVES UP. All it wants is the usual oil change and minor checkup every three months and it will go forever. I never get less than 30mpg out of it. I cannot imagine WHAT you'd have to do to this car to break it. I use it for the daily commute, plus several longer road trips every year, and even offroad once down a 4WD-only jeep track (stupid, but it survived).

Excellent car!
By ilovemyhonda

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I've had my Honda for 7 years, and it has been the most reliable car I could ask for. I've gotten in 2 significant car accidents, and after getting the body repaired, it still runs great. Rattles a little bit now, but that's expected for how old it is. GREAT gas mileage. Have had to repair absolutely NOTHING, and it now has 150k miles. Very, very reliable. Would recommend to anyone.

Gas mileage, reliable, fun to drive

None.

Disappointment!
By Dan

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

Bought my automatic 98 civic hatchback in '99 because they had great reviews in terms of reliability. It was fun to drive and got great mileage. Looked good and was small and nimble. I did not wash often enough, but body held up well. I drove about 13000 miles/yr. Lousy stereo. My AC compressor and transmission both died when it was 5 yrs old. The interior felt cheap, rattled, and wore out quickly. Tail lights leaked water and got inside the spare tire area. My manifold cracked after 6 years and had to be replaced. Driver side manual window crank broke after 6 years. Engine lacked power, uphills it dogged.

Small and easy to park, zipped around city streets, great mileage, consistent 27-32mpg held up in accidents. Plenty of cargo with rear seats down, stylish.

Lots of road noise, silence it! Improve the interior quality, more power with same mileage, improve stereo quality.

Still Running Great
By justmartha

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

This was my 2nd Civic hatchback and I'm sorry they quit making them. I put 165,000 miles on the 1990 one before I sold it. The '98 car had a few design issues that made me love it a little less than the older one but has been more reliable and still gets >40 mpg on a road trip at speeds of 65-70 mph. My biggest complaints have been road noise and a little less cargo space, plus lack of an interior hatch release convenient for the driver. The biggest plus? Great gas mileage and total reliability!

It's little. I can fit in almost any parking space. Yet I can also cram a bunch of stuff in it. Trip to Costco to stock up on a month's worth of stuff? No problem. Road trip with musical instruments? No big deal!

Keep making them! Make it a 4-door and add more noise insulation, and I'd be shopping for a new one. I haven't bonded with the Fit, which seems to be the replacement.