Used 1998 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Car Ever
By Stefani

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

All Civics are great vehicles. I've owned two. Both were totaled, only reason I've had to buy another car. 98 Civic totaled with me driving - hit on driver's side by head on collision by Chevy Malibu. Had to be pried out by Jaws of Life. Want to buy another Civic - only small bruises on my body!! Miracle I'm not hurt worse. Only problem with car, front power window was going out. Will always recommend Hondas. Will never find a better vehicle!

Great driver's side impact features. Great gas mileage! Only $20.00 to fill gas tank and it lasted 2 weeks for me. Very reliable. No major problems.

Better than Civics of 2007
By tokyojonny

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

What can I say? I bought this car in October of 1998, it spent two years on a trickle charger while I was stationed overseas from 2001-2003, and then started up like I never left when I got back to the U.S. Aside from the A/C that imploded last summer at 100,000 miles (~1800 bucks to replace the whole system--yikes!) and an exhaust leak noticed at 80,000 (no need to replace), I have had absolutely no problems with this car. Take it in for scheduled maintainance and forget your worries.

Unbelievable reliability, outstanding mileage, design, cabin/trunk space, keep up with scheduled maintainance and it is unfailing.

Exhaust system and A/C are consistent and expensive problems for Civics built in 1998. Mine was no exception. Also, upgrade to wider tires/rims. The stock tires/rims for this model year have the dexterity of aluminum cans while taking corners at speed.

Civic Commuter
By Jay

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic with 21000 miles. I now have over 109000 miles with no major issues. The manual transmission hasn't given me any of the issues that other people describe with their automatics. I replaced the exhaust within the last year, but if you live in the salt belt this is to be expected. I also replaced the original battery last winter, it was 8 years old. The car handles well, but is no BMW.

Excellent gas mileage, I get 30 in the city and 35 on the highway. Reliability is so good that I can't justify getting rid of it. Emergency braking is great on wet/dry conditions even without stability control and antilock brakes. Good leg and shoulder room for 4 adults in a compact.

Standard anti-lock brakes. Adjustable cup holders, tall water bottles will be tossed out around a corner. A more dent resistant body.

Good Car
By Josh

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've owned my civic for about 3 years now, and so far its been very reliable. Only problems have been the exhuast tends to rust easily especially after salty winters. Though even with upgraded engine components still feels like it lacks power. But absolutely no major issues for 3 years of driving it everyday. Definitely recommend the manual transmission as it is peppy, but car is still very slow. Looks good but dents very easily. Easy to find spare parts for this car also.

Lightweight nimble car, good gas mileage, good looks, reliable.

Bad cup holder placement, dim guages, easily dented body, extremely weak engine, I recommend they have a rear sway bar standard on these cars because there is lots of body roll on turns, or just add one like i did for a few hundred dollars.

Not for the Young at Heart
By Ken Beaty

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Overall, I am quite pleased with the auto. The exhaust manifold was replaced at 57,500 miles. Currently, at about 72,000 miles, I am experiencing a slip on the automatic transmission. I have developed a knee problem, and it has become very difficult for me to exit the vehicle. I imagine that would be the case with many seniors and those with arthritic conditions.