Used 1998 Honda Civic Coupe Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Coupe

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Little Car, Cheap to Own
By PSUEng

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 EX last Sept. from my old roommate in college--he bought it new and at 79,300 miles, runs great. He maintained it very well and soon after I got it, the battery died (original), and the muffler rusted out. Other than that, no problems--AC is cold and heater is hot and everything works. I consistently get about 33 mpg highway and around 30-31 combined in my driving cycle. While it's not a sports car, it is cheap to maintain and easy to work on. The engine will outlast the rest of it.

I love this car because it is so simple. So easy to work on and parts are cheap. You can tear the whole thing apart with the Helm manual and basic metric tools.

Well, for basic transportation that gets great fuel economy, Honda nailed it. It's an appliance, plain and simple. But I feel like I have to over extend to reach the shift lever, the steering could be a little tighter and reduce some body roll and cabin noise.

Great Car for the Money
By JRHoyt

1998 Honda Civic Coupe DX 2dr Coupe

After 177,000 miles, The only repairs have been a new catalytic converter ($550) and an A/C compressor ($1300). This is a great car for a do-it-yourself mechanic. I now do 99% of the maintenance myself and I expect to keep this car until it reaches 300,000 miles. I bought it new in Jan. 1999. I haven't even had to replace a head light or signal light bulb. I get 36.5 MPG at highway speeds, even after 9 years of use. Around town I get 29 MPG. I wish that was higher.

it gets great fuel economy and is easy to work on.

Honda Civic (Exceptional vehical)
By Mike McKinley

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I've bought a Honda Civic Ex. 2dr coupe, manual trans. A little over two years ago. Even though the car was not in my posession for very long I am very pleased with its preformance as well as its reliablitly. The Civic is a common car which means upgrades/replacements and aftermarket tuning parts can be found any where and fairly cheap. It has an elegant design Both inside and out. However the performance of the viehical is fair. It sometimes can feel very slugish up large hills or with a full car load of people. Steering and handling however is exceptionaly better than other vehicals in made in 98. Overall Its a sporty fuel effecient car that is very fun to drive. Perfect for a first car!

Some very nice features included in the Ex. model are the c.d. Am/Fm radio player. Cruise control. Power windows and mirrors. Though the feature I find myself using the most is the moonroof. It not only lets light in and bring up the mood of the car, but it also gives the vehicle that exotic look.

I've done quit a few of upgrades to my Civic both performance wise and cosmeticly. A few things that I have found was a cheap way to increase horsepower are; cold air intake, performance muffler and tubing, and electronic supercharger. After these modifications it tends to get fairly expensive.

Civic
By aeman21

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

I bought the Civic with 144,000 miles. I now have 146,000 miles. I traded my 1999 Civic LX 4-door for this car, and it was a great decision. My '98 EX is a stick as opposed to my '99 LX auto. It has much better gas mileage and is a lot more fun to drive.

Manual transmission. I have aftermarket Ractive exhaust that sounds amazing!

Fix cup holders!

best car ive owned
By lang

1998 Honda Civic Coupe EX 2dr Coupe

Ive owned my honda ex for about 8 years and i can honestly say that it has been the best car i have ever owned. Ive put 286,000 miles on it and yes ive had to put some money into it. eventually things wear out however, it has never "broken down" on me and i have never had to worry about it starting. The only flaw with this vehicle that i can see is that the exhaust rusts out quickly. other than that scheduled maintenance is all this baby needs to run like a top!! i have had to get frequent alignments but that could be my driving or the roads in maine or both. if i could wish for an improvement it would be a quieter ride. other than that i have no complains. handles well,mpg about 33 highway.

the manual shift is a pleasure to work with a deep throw but very smooth. + the controls are very ergodynamic.

less road noise. and more cushioning of the seat would be welcome.