Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Just hit 150,000 miles.
By Lianger

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I got my 98 civic 4dr ex my junior year of high school. I'm still driving after 11 years. I just hit 150,000 miles with all the commuting back and forth to work and back. It's about a 50 mile commute round trip. This is my first car and it's going to be sad when I have to let him. A lot of good memories. No major issue and very reliable car. I have gone through about 4 or 5 sets of tires, 3 brakes and rotors, 2 exhaust pipes, replaced 1 turn signal light bulb, Timing belt, water pump, 2 CV boots (city has a lot of pot holes), and a turn up. The worst thing that happen was a crack gasket which cause the antifreeze to leak.

MPG, reliability, handle

My Best Friend
By ALEX

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I've bought my civic last year when it had 77K miles. So far I have driven 10K miles and no problems at all. Although the car is not flashy or fast, it is very reliable and can take your from point A to point B with low gas usage. The handling is very nice and this car will look very nice with some sporty rims or a spoiler. I am planning on keeping it until I finish college, and then buying a newer civic! :)

Reliable and fun to drive.

The interior is dull.

Still Going Strong
By PSUEng

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I wrote a review on this car back in March 2008 after I purchased. I currently have 102,000 miles and this car is still cranking out the miles. Since last August(95,000 miles or so) I had a front passenger axle replaced due to CV boot/joint failure; AC system serviced; brake system serviced (but no new pads/rotors needed!); over the axle pipe on the exhaust replaced; new spark plugs and my oil pan gasket was leaking. All this totaled about $800 parts/labor at my indy mechanic. I may have a front crank seal leaking and the clutch is going, but we'll see. It burns no oil and has yet to leave me stranded. Started every time this past winter in frigid outside temps. Fantastic little car.

Same as last time, but I'm appreciating more and more the fact that parts are very inexpensive when needing replacing and readily available.

The road noise is really getting annoying.

good little car
By tlt858

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Good little car. I've been driving this car for more than 5 years, and have had very little go wrong with it. Great gas mileage, good pep, really comfortable. My car has over 200K miles on it, and it is still going strong.

Gas mileage, reliability

200k and still strong!
By Heather

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I am a Honda Fan! My '98 Civic has over 200,000 and is still going strong (this is my 2nd, the first was a 1990 with 109K). She's had a few problems, but who hasn't? The A/C system was replaced when she was 7. I had to replace the odometer cable. When she was 10, the radiator and ignition coil was replaced. Understandable at her age. Overall, she has been a wonderful little car. Fairly zippy, she's not a Porsche, but she gets me onto the freeway with no problems. The interior is completely intact, nothing broken or fallen apart. In the last year (she's now 12) the dash lights for the air system have faded...haven't asked the dealer about it. I give the Honda a 10 star rating.