Used 1998 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic Sedan

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Good solid car, but unexpected repairs
By JAprill

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this Honda in April of 2004 with 106,000 miles on it. It drove great and looked great. It lasted me through two years of high school and four years of college. After about 150,000 miles, the repairs started getting more expensive and frequent. The exhaust system was a major problem- - the entire system needed to be replaced. A check engine light came on at 175,000 miles and after many diagnostic tests it was found that the computer was fried-- costing around 1200. Overall good car. Big problems to look out for: electrical and exhaust.

great gas mileage

exhaust system

Best economy car
By ed

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I leased this car in 1998 and bought it out in 2002. I have never had it in the shop for a major repair. I have been able to do all routine work myself and I've found it to be an easy vehicle to work on. I have 243000 miles (391071 kms) and it's still going strong. My goal is 310,000 miles (500,000) kms.

So great, someone else took it from me!
By M

1998 Honda Civic Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I had this car since it was brand new. I drove it myself for +6 years and I had ZERO problems with it, in it's 10th year it ran better then most cars that are less than 5 years old. The one negative - people kept trying to break into it (I never kept anything in my car) and finally, dec 08' someone successfully stole it and was written off. This problem is typical of older Hondas. This car was great but it's a hot car for theft (and is apparently really easy to steal) and this is what makes me hesitant to return to a Honda since dealing with getting windows fixed etc. from thieves turns into a big pain. :(

Reliability, handling (great in snow too), gas mileage

In the last winter I had it, the car seemed to have trouble keeping the interior warm when it was -40 C. Definitely buy a club and alarm if you get this car.

Honda Civic LX 1998
By Deeblacke

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car when it had 125K miles and i have had for 3 yrs. Now it has 195,000 and still going strong. The only major breakdown i had was with the clutch but other than that it's a good car. I intend to drive it until it has 400K

Amazing little car
By Ed

1998 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Civic new in 1998 and kept it for nearly 11 years. In that time I had to make only two unscheduled repairs: first to replace the muffler and then the power window regulator. Overall it's been a great car - reliable, fuel efficient, and pretty fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission.

Stellar reliability - these cars easily hit 200K miles with minimal repairs; fuel efficiency - I routinely get around 34 mpg.

Reduce road/engine noise; improve exterior paint (wears easily especially if exposed to a lot of sun)... that's about it.