Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Love my lil 4 banger
By kickback2

1998 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 1998. Was my first new car. I was into the fast and furious concepts of things. The only mod I still have left on the car is air intake and the exhuast tip.

I have gone through 1 window mash attempt to steal the car. They didnt steal at that time. On the side nice big scrape on the passenger door which I never fixed. Then the car was stolen and took my nice after market system with sub and amps.

To say the least I was bummed. They found the car 3 days later. I had my insurace restore the car to stock has I bought brand new.

I can say I have repalced several things over the pass 14 years with 145,000 miles on it ans still running great.

Gas mileage is great, The seats are comfy I am 5'11/240. I never really sat in the back. But friends haev said its comfy with alot of leg room. Great long distance car. I took this car from Los Angeles to Vancouver Canada that was a 2 week vacation. To vegas like 5 times. To Big bear 3 times to go snowboarding. Been to TJ ( mexico) and to Az. So all in all you cant beat a car this Honda did a swell job and gotten better since then. My way of thinking even back then 1998 was if anything breaks. Get after market parts to replace it and thats what I have done. Honda have done me well and I will continue to support them. Next venture I am looking at ( Honda Fit 2012).

None to think of. On my part at the time in 1998 I wish I got the ex model. But then again my Dx has been truely a nice car to have own has my first car. I will always keep the car. Even when I get a new car honda of course. My girlfriend wants to learn how to drive a stick. So I am gonna teach on the civic. The new 2012 accord coupe WOW the design looks so nice to look at. Honda people stay strong and true. Sad to say American cars dont hold a candle to Honda. Times change so we have to see what they have for the Hondas this days. Test drive all cars that you can afford and make the best choice. ZOOM ZOOM

Dependable/Reliable Car
By lillykayda

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car new in April 1998. I've owned this car for almost 14 years. I get regular oil changes. The car now has > 208,000 miles and it still runs great. It still has the original clutch and usually gets 35 mpg and have gotten over 38 mpg at times. I've had to replace the battery twice, front brakes once & muffler once. I will be needing new brake pads on the front and rear soon though. Last year the driver side window got off track and had to be taken apart to fix. The radio volume adjuster doesn't work right. The roof interior where the moonroof is worn. There are some usual exterior flaws. All in all, I've definitely got my money worth. Hoping to get this good with next vehicle.

Gas mileage, reliability, low cost to own

I would be satisfied with any car that does as well as this one has for me. No improvement required.

Even in 2011, still a great car.
By md1032

1998 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

At this point I am passing my 1998 Civic with 218k miles to my younger sibling since I bought a newer Japanese car. This car has been really good to us. We owned a '96 LX sedan, but that was totaled by a woman, so we bought a '97 LX sedan, which was also totaled by a woman some years later. That brings us to our current Civic, a '98 DX, I've put about 80k on it. All are 5-speeds and I can tell you that all three have basically driven identically.

If you're looking for a really cheap car that gets decent mileage, you can get one of these for next to nothing and you probably won't regret it at all. It's a great car, and very reliable (assuming you avoid the auto tranny...it's a Honda).

This thing, in its prime, regularly cranked out 40 MPG around town, on the highway...wherever. Now the engine is a little worn out, but I still rarely see a single tank below 35 MPG. These cars are a lot of fun to drive around town. The acceleration is decent if you really rev it up, although still pitiful under normal circumstances. The clutch is extremely light and barely takes any effort to push in and operate compared to every other car I've ever driven. Transmission is buttery-smooth even at 218k. The HVAC controls are great. You can run the defrost with recirc on and A/C off, unlike every other car ever made. Drives great in the snow, too. You really have great control.

This car would not be my first choice for a long road trip at any reasonable speed. At 75 MPH, the engine is screaming along at 3500+ RPM. The noise can be annoying at times (granted I've been in noisier cars that were 7 years newer). It also isn't very stable in windy conditions and gets knocked around like the lightweight car it is.

good car
By swanny4

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I bought my civic 6 years ago on a junk title. It has always started for me and never let me down. It is so faithful that I am even bored with it! What a good car. Nothing exciting, just faithful.

reliability is just incredible.

paint is junk.

1998 Honda Civic
By arcticman1

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I have not been very happy with this car. From the paint peeling to the door handles breaking and wiper motors not working. Now at 155k, a deep knock in the engine (most likely a rod) I'm done with Honda!