Used 1998 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Car
By Kris

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

My family has had this car for a while. My older brother bought it, he was the 2nd owner. Then my father bought it. After 3 or 4 years, of driving it, it now has just rolled past 173,000 miles. This is my first car. The only problems we have had with it is the AC stopped before we even got it. It still runs like new.

Looks, alloy rims.

Cup holders, 2.0 liter.

Civic
By aeman21

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought the Civic with 144,000 miles. I now have 146,000 miles. I traded my 1999 Civic LX 4-door for this car, and it was a great decision. My '98 EX is a stick as opposed to my '99 LX auto. It has much better gas mileage and is a lot more fun to drive.

Manual transmission. I have aftermarket Ractive exhaust that sounds amazing!

Fix cup holders!

Reliable Economy Car
By jkwcivil

1998 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

My father-in-law purchased this car for my wife while we were still dating. That was about 6 years ago when it had approximately 40,000 miles. The car now has over 155,000 and is still running strong. We have the oil changed every 3,000 miles and do the other maintenance that is recommended by the manufacturer. The car has proven to be a hassel free daily driver and I expect that will continue well into the future.

This is an economy car, therefore, not much flare. The seat upholstery has proven to be very stain and wear resistant.

It has a good deal of road noise, but I think it has been lessened in newer models.

best car ive owned
By lang

1998 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Ive owned my honda ex for about 8 years and i can honestly say that it has been the best car i have ever owned. Ive put 286,000 miles on it and yes ive had to put some money into it. eventually things wear out however, it has never "broken down" on me and i have never had to worry about it starting. The only flaw with this vehicle that i can see is that the exhaust rusts out quickly. other than that scheduled maintenance is all this baby needs to run like a top!! i have had to get frequent alignments but that could be my driving or the roads in maine or both. if i could wish for an improvement it would be a quieter ride. other than that i have no complains. handles well,mpg about 33 highway.

the manual shift is a pleasure to work with a deep throw but very smooth. + the controls are very ergodynamic.

less road noise. and more cushioning of the seat would be welcome.

Best Car Ever
By Stefani

1998 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

All Civics are great vehicles. I've owned two. Both were totaled, only reason I've had to buy another car. 98 Civic totaled with me driving - hit on driver's side by head on collision by Chevy Malibu. Had to be pried out by Jaws of Life. Want to buy another Civic - only small bruises on my body!! Miracle I'm not hurt worse. Only problem with car, front power window was going out. Will always recommend Hondas. Will never find a better vehicle!

Great driver's side impact features. Great gas mileage! Only $20.00 to fill gas tank and it lasted 2 weeks for me. Very reliable. No major problems.