Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

188,000 and time to retire
By DaveInPhoenix

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car used with 125k mi. in 2001. I immediately recognized the potential for how fun this car would be with some modifications. I put 17" wheels on (best performance mod, BTW) and a 1.5" lower suspension. This car handles like it's on rails. Every time I drive this car it's like I'm racing on Mazda Speedway. Much fun! Mileage is great with average 30mpg considering my driving habits. I grenaded the motor at 150k mi and the transmission is now in need of replacement, but I bear full responsibility for these things because of my driving style. The rest of the car is tip-top and would probably last another 200k mi. My only ongoing complaint has been effectiveness of A/C.

Fun car, very reliable, great MPG.

I live in Phoenix. On days over 115, the A/C is worthless in stop-and go driving or highway trips under 20 miles. I did have a problem with the drivers side power window just after I bought the car, but fixed it myself with a $50 part from the dealer.

civic ex
By kedgman

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

seems to be a well put together car. handles very well, has better than average gas mileage, a bit hard to get in and out of (due to the fact that I'm 6 ft tall).

power sunroof,

make the seats more adjustable, especially in the leg lumbar area.

Great investment, I love my car
By Elizabeth

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been wonderful. I'm at 104k miles and hardly any problems so far. Just had some minor things fixed last week (scheduled maintenance, brakes, water pump, timing belt), but before that only the muffler replaced (around 60k probably) and a motor mount (around 90K). Very reliable car, still running very well. I've driven it thousands of miles on the interstate and never had to worry. I love it and plan to keep driving it until it dies.

good gas mileage, solid feel even though it's a small car, doesn't feel cramped at all even though it's small

can't think of any.

good ole reliable
By Eric

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

What can I say about the civic. Light, nimble, with a quick feel. The only expenses other than fluids, filters, batteries, and tires was the timing belt at 90,000. The car runs effortlessly and still gets 37mpg combined. Honda did a great job making a very economical car sporty and fun. The only problem with mine is a slow passenger side window motor. Now the 2006 civic looks to do it all over again. Get in line to get the Si.

The best things about the car is the zippy feel with great gas mileage. The fit and finish are exellent with no huge gaps or abnormal sounds.

radio controls on the steering wheel.

The Civic
By Mountain Man

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I have personally owned two Hondas (my family has owned many more) and this overall was a good car while I was going to college. It was recently totaled, and as I looked to buy another Honda I was disillusioned with how much people are asking for their used Hondas. Give me a break! They are good cars, but not gold bricks on wheels! I had some problems with my car, so they are not impervious to damage and are not maitenance free. I think too much of a mystique has been built around Honda reliability to the point of being ridiculous! This is evidenced in how much people were asking for their Hondas with obvious blemishes. I ended up buying a luxury car for less.

Fun VTEC kick. Overall a straight forward car that is easy to work on (mostly, except for oil changes with the stupid exhaust system in the way of the oil filter). The stereo was great. It was good looking - but unfortunately thieves thought so as well

Thief magnet that is easy to steal. The inner fender liner tore repeatedly on the passenger side, the cup holders stink, the interior wore down early. Rotor warp was a constant. The transmission became rough after 90k. Hydroplanes easily and has too much body roll in cornering.