Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

mpg's
By jb

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

Now that gas is 3.50 my 2001 suburban that gets 11 mpg sits in the driveway I bought the 97 civic from a dealer with 178,000 on it after I week the MPG were 36/40 all the sudden it ran like crap went to the auto parts store and 65.00 later and 15 minutes it was tuned up. It runs perfect and when I checked the MPG I was shocked. 80 on the highway and city driving hard like it was a v8 90% city 10% on the highway my MPG were averaging 43 mpg (The suburban was costing me 120 a week in gas at 3.00/gal) I am so happy with it we bought my wife a 2002 civic and she loves it.

Great car
By jb

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

Good car, great on gas, I love it. It's safe and reliable. I would recommend it for anyone with a family or not. It's very reliable

All of it.

Stronger bumper.

A good buy
By 986man

1997 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car late 2000 as my first car. It had about 69,000 miles and I have since run that up to almost 127,000. The cost of planned maintenance is low, tires are inexpensive, and oil changes at 4,000 mile intervals don't seem to matter. I have only had two unplanned maintenance issues: the ignition coil failed and the car shutdown. This was due to old spark plugs that I had not changed at the needed interval (my fault). Second, a CV joint cracked, although this was probably from normal wear and tear. Bottom line, very few unplanned issues over a LONG life :). Good reliabilty! The car (127 hp, auto trans) is not fast, but it handles well.

Very light curb weight (<2600 lbs) makes for acceptable performance from a tiny engine. Superb gas efficiency. Comfortable seats, despite the unrefined interior. Handy rear split/fold down seats. Good exterior aesthetics. Very low cost of ownership.

Need improvements on interior window linings. Living in FL, the linings melted and ruined in inside windows Needs better brakes. Small front disc and rear drum with very poor stopping distance Needs better wheels/tires (5.5 inch width, 14 inch wheel) are not good for braking.

Still chuggin' along
By Will C

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new back in February 1997. It's now over 10 years old. What can I say about this car? It's been through 2 accidents, 2 AC systems (compressor locked and then a rock flew right into it), 5 windshields, blown head gasket, but it's still running along. The car still looks new, since I take care of my car, except the front. I drive A LOT! The paint is peeling on the front bumper and the hood, but the rest of the car looks new. It's getting time to buy another car. But I want to see the odometer roll to over 200K, and then I'm selling it off. I can't believe a lot of people are still interested in this car. I'm movin' on up. I'm looking into buying either a TSX or Accord

It still drives great! Gas mileage is ho hum (maybe due to the way I drive). Body is still good.

AC not so strong; better power windows.

My Civic is pretty G
By Thug Life

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Coupe

I have been driving this car for about nine months. I have to say it is quite premium. It looks very nice, is easy to work on, and is fun to drive. Like other reviewers, I really like the lack of power steering and the driving feel it brings. The car is easy to work on and has a lot of tuning potential. Also I get well above 35 MPG in the city.

Beautiful red exterior.Tuning potential. Gas mileage. Reliability. Fun to drive with 5 speed.

Not the quickest car on the road. All the interior and exterior pieces are held together with plastic clips.