Used 1997 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 141 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Amazing Car
By guera1904

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car a little over two years with about 65k miles on it. I've driven this car HARD- I'm now at 110k (mostly highway miles but plenty of city driving as well) with no problems. My AC unit went out, but that's to be expected after 100k miles. I take great care of it, and the mechanics always tell me my car is in great shape mechanically. I wish it had more power on hills and a little more style, but the car is GREAT economically so I cant complain. I would recommend this car to anyone!

GREAT gas mileage (between $15-$20 a tank for 350 miles), extremely reliable, cheap & easy maintenance.

More power...but considering the great gas mileage I can't complain. And a roomier interior would be nice, but again...

Excellent car
By Driver

1997 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I have been driving this car for 12 years and it's still performing with no problems. I've mostly kept up with the maintenance schedule, but not to the T. My goal is to drive it for 10 more years!

Reliability. Light and airy feel when driving (compared to a Chrysler for instance).

For the cost, I think it's great the way it is.

Excellent
By angelo

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I like the car because it's economy and a small car that I can park anywhere it will fit; also very economic.

The perfect car!
By CivicFlyer

1997 Honda Civic DX 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 97 Civic since 2000 and as long as I keep it tuned up it is getting 40 MPG plus. That is with an hour commute with speeds up to 85 mph. The dealership offered a free warranty tune up once a year. I just had all the bodywork done and a high end paint 2004 Subaru Garnet Black (white and red pearl on black). With a Cold Air Pack you get that piece of junk 70s Honda motorcycle sound (+mpg). I got cool wheels, chrome exhaust tip, mirror tinted back windows... chicks dig it. It looks very similar to a picture I see on the edmunds.com 1997 Honda Civic Styles page. I have run alcohol and hydrogen through it with no problems at all. Very low maintenance and very good power for an economy.

GOOD gas mileage plus good power. The hatchback is great for moving. The hatch will close with a new dishwasher, two 17 foot extension ladders, etc. in it. You can fit 6x9 speakers in the stock holes in the back. Chicks dig it. It's not me, really, I swear...

Maybe a foot or so longer to hold a little more stuff like the Saab 900 turbo. I want a stretch version. My Saab only gets 35mpg. A cheap 50% hydrogen generator would be cool.

dissapointed
By jg

1997 Honda Civic DX 4dr Sedan

After having this car I can not understand how everyone seems to love it. I bought the car with 46,000 miles on it and now have 93,000. The AC blower motor went out, I've replaced the radiator because it was leaking, it has an oil leak, I have had to replace the muffler, then I had a problem where my break lights wouldn't turn off causing the battery to die constantly. The AC is broken AGAIN, the windshield wipers broke and now will turn on if I go over any kind of bump. There are numerous rattles and shakes. The interior is low quality. I will be so happy when I get rid of the car. I wish it was as reliable as everyone else says they are.

good gas mileage