Used 1996 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

2nd Owner
By Austen

1996 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as my go-getter in Feb 08. The previous owner had neglected this car so I got it at a steal knowing that I would have some work to be done. Whew, $2000 mechanical bill and a $1200 paint job later this thing is awesome. I added some new wheels, projector headlights, LED taillights, and a window tint and now I get endless comments on how good it looks. The stock engine is peppy and seems reliable now that maintenance is up to par. No matter how you drive, this thing never gets less than 30 mpg either.

Great MPG even when the wheels are switched to 17" hoops. Very economical, parts easy to come by and relatively cheap. Comfortable interior. High fun-to-drive quotient. Handles better than the car's stature implies.

Noisy at highway speeds (even with stock wheels/tires). Slider-type climate controls gotta go (they did on later models). Body seams need more sealer, found water leaks to the trunk on my car (I understand many 96s had this problem but were later corrected).

review
By chad

1996 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

This car so far has just been amazing. Simply amazing. I will give anyone a ride just to have the enjoyment of driving it.

beautiful car. runs great. cheap. good insurance. amazing all around.

nothing that personal add ons cant help.

96 civic
By nick

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a 2nd owner at 67,000 miles in 1999. As of 2008, It's at 161,000. It's only not started once because of a dead battery. I have changed oil 3500 - 4000 miles, timing belt/water pump at 90k. The power windows have been on and off because of a corroded connection between the drivers door and the body of car. Radio sometimes gets loud probably because of dirty volume knob assembly. I have an exhaust leak that I smell when I start the car. In summary, 9 years excellence service with constant 30+ mpg at a reasonable price.

12 years and still going strong
By mark machula

1996 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan

I had this car given to me as a gift it had 28,000 kms at the time I have had it 3 years and 50,000 kms later and all I have done is change the oil every 5,000 kms new front brakes and tires. I am impressed it never breaks down. It is fun to drive and it has a lot of pep for an engine and car of it's size I am also impressed with its safety. I was in an accident last year with it. I hit another car head on driving 80 kmh and did not even suffer any injuries and my car was fixable. After that experience I feel very safe in my car. Over all I think Honda has built a great quality vehicle with this car.

Fuel economy, decent factory stereo, quick acceleration, short grippy brakes, Nice handling.

it could be more quiet on the highway,and a few more base options,tachometer would be nice

Great Reliable Car
By John

1996 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I'm the second owner of this car. It has 180K miles on it and is running perfectly. Great gas milage with 30/35 city/highway and a very comfortable commuter vehicle. It is easy to maintain (oil changes, filters, fluids, plugs, etc.) and is very reliable.

Reliability, great fuel economy, comfortable seating, and just plain fun to drive.