Used 1993 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1993 Honda Civic

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Best Econo Car Ever Made
By Alex

1993 Honda Civic VX 2dr Hatchback

Best econo car ever made and owned so far. Very easy to modify (interior/ exterior wise). I've added a 94 si moonroof, rear windshield wiper, 17" rims, slightly lowered, 99 si dash modification with all red lighting, DC5R steering wheel, 99 si OEM CD player and slave tape deck, better speakers, 99 si head lights, fog lights, 99-00 civic front bumper, power door locks/ power windows, and it still gets 55+ mpg with the added weight. This car may take a while to pick up speed, but is still fast for a super econo engine. So far have had no problems with engine/tranny. A great commuter car. It's a new experience when one drives a car that's nice to your wallet. I'll never get rid of this car!!!

Creatively engineered hatch, great room for luggage, back lights, sleek window design, very light, fuel economy guaranteed 55mpg in hwy. I've experienced 61mpg half the time in long trips. Capatible with 99 civic si interior, very easy to modify interior, easily placed (but expensive) OEM moonroof

Lacks rear passanger room for 5 adults. Get a 96-00 hatchback if you need more rear passanger room. Too much wind noise, but can be reduced with thicker weather stripping and dynomat.

Bulletproof
By MisterC

1993 Honda Civic CX 2dr Hatchback

Car keeps going and going. Fuel economy is not as good over the years but can has never let me down in 7 years. Body can't keep up with engine, will begin to rust especially behing the rear wheels (defect on many Honda models)

Quickness and light clutch.

Rust behind rear wheels tend to be very common on these cars.

Ugly-refuses to die
By HONDA LOVER

1993 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

well, i have to say that this truly is a wonderful car. i bought my civic just to have as a beater b/c my grand cherokee gulps too much gas. i ended up liking my civic so much that i sold the jeep and rely solely on the civic. shes ugly...the clear coat is peeling and the rear quarters are rusting, but she runs like a champ. i still get 40mpg commuting thru the rocky mountains at 80mph everyday for work. at 10000 feet above sea level, that truly is amazing. even with my automatic transmission, it still does well. it now has 166k and i am hunting for a new vehicle now that i have graduated from college but i cant make myself get rid of such a wonderful vehicle. it doesnt even burn oil!!!!!!!

the reliability factor is what keeps me coming back. the high reving motor is great for mountain driving, and there is virtually no maintenance. i just change the oil,fill the tank,and go. it even has more driver leg room than my grand cherokee!

larger back seat, better cup holders, the center vents are so high that they dry your eyes out no matter what you do. back support in the front seats is rather lacking, and there is no center arm rest! but these are all me being picky. overall, its really a great little car. go get one!!

260k miles and going strong
By mike c

1993 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan

I am a Honda person for life now!! 260,000 hard miles, uses no oil and not a single major repair. Over 40mpg highway and 35mpg city. I suggest sending the fuel injectors in for off car cleaning every 100k miles (NONE of the bottle stuff works, I tried it all) and do yourself a favor and install a high flow airfilter and muffler. It does NOT have to be a loud "coffee can" to improve performance AND mileage. My exhaust manifold developed a crack around 200k and I replaced it with a header because of lower cost. I would never go back. There was no downside and my engine was more responsive at all rpm's. I use a 50% mix of synthetic and regular oil this made a noticeable improvement in hp & mpg.

reliable, fun to drive, great mileage, everything is within easy reach.

Honda should start building THIS civic again. I like it much better than the new ones.

I loved it
By VMMSON

1993 Honda Civic EX 2dr Coupe

We had a beautiful little red Civic EX Coupe. Added a Honda spoiler & alloy wheels but other than that it was all stock. Great car for 11-1/2 years for my wife and a year or two for my long commute/ high gas prices. Only needed to replace oil and fill with gas. The services were minimal cost. The first $$$ fix was about three years ago when one CV boot went. This past summer the ignitor went out in the distributor and she got the 100,000 mi timing belt and pump. My son loved it. It was running great until he dodged a deer running out in front of him at 9pm this past fall. Hit a ditch & rolled 2-1/2 times. He turned off the engine opened the door & got out. She protected him well!

Safety - looks - sunroof - folding seats.

bell or buzzer for lights on - ran the battery down several times when it stopped raining and I forgot to turn off the lights when I got to my destination.