Used 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Really nice car
By albert

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback CX 2dr Hatchback

Well this car like the common old car gave me the typical problems, catalytic converter, then the brakes, and one problem whit a washer somewhere in the engine, but after almos 70 000 miles what do you expect, yes, I put like 35k miles per year to that car.

It's really fun to drive, especially if you have it in standard transmission. Really really really cheap, I put 5 bucks and I can make like 80 miles it's like 40 mpg

None, same one but newer

Excellent car ever made
By tony

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

this is my first car and i am driving it from last 5 months...it's excellent. it's comfortable, fun, dependable. i bought it used. previous owner was careless, he never care for it. since i bought it it sits in garage. it's an automatic but i SHIFT AT!! MPG is low (because of my driving habits 3rd at 80 mph)..i don't like driving my second car (2003 accord).. i like most is its comfort. it feels solid.. wish if honda restart its production with 300+ HP, I am really gonna buy 1.. I LOVE MY EG!!!

seating comfort, handling, fuel economy, trunk space,sporty exterior design, dashboard, rear end, it looks very nice if lowered, rear seats are more comfortable...its my dream car.

more powerful engine(like honda S2000 or PRELUDE) overall its best car i have ever seen and driven!!

Small yet big on the inside
By Lukas

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback VX 2dr Hatchback

Overall a great car. Small yet roomy on the inside. Superb car on the gas! Small engine but w/ 5-speed was able to keep up w/ "big guys". I ended my Honda experience being crushed by a tractor-trailer at the stop sign - I am alive but I cannot imagine surviving a real crush

Quick pick up, great gas saver,

No power and absolutely no pick up over 70 mph especially w/ AC on. All joints are fragile, I had to replace shocks and all twice in 4 years, police magnet due to fast and furious film fiasco, doesn't do well in accidents w/ semi's, make sure to replace all belts as schedule or repairs will cost you

Finally, a place to praise her!
By Ray C

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

Purchasing her was a nightmare, but owning her is a dream. This car has seen: 5 roundtrip treks from Chicago to L.A., plowed through 2 ft deep snow (clearing a path for a Blazer for 4 miles), ran into the side of a mountain (friend borrowed her), carried everything I owned as a bachelor, beats camaros through intersections (then loses a block later, lol), looks great, runs better, and is still ready for more. I realize no one will probably see this because of the year, but she is worth the effort to type a few words of praise. I will look back on the time i owned her, and smile. I will always compare future cars to her. My children will drive Civic HB's as their startup cars if I can convince them.

Dependability, Fuel Economy, Styling, Fit & Finish, Versatility, Utility, Bolt-on aftermarket, audio capability, Fun.

600 hp engine to fit under the hood, and keep the same fuel economy. Keep up the great work so my kids can enjoy one too, someday.

My 2nd VX and better than the 1st !!!
By Ken was IL now MI

1992 Honda Civic Hatchback VX 2dr Hatchback

I owned my 1st VX for 10 years - see my 5/2002 review in this section. I was very sad when I sold it but I did because it started to rust badly in several areas. While looking at the bargain section of the car classifieds of the Detroit newspaper I found another 92 VX! for only $1500! What's great about this one? NO SERIOUS RUST!! Three years later????? Anyway the new one (14 years young next month) is really fantastic. It has only 128,000 miles, doesn't leak/burn/use oil, the engine runs like new and the interior is in better shape than my 1st VX - seats and carpeting are mint. Still has the same advantages and disadvantages as the old one but if I could find another 92 I'd buy it!!

Reliability - nothing ever fails as long as regular maintenance is done.

Too late for that but it would be great if Honda could bring back the 1.5 or 1.3L lean burn engines and get 50 to 60 MPG. The 80's 90's CRX's were great gas sippers too and fun to drive also!