Used 1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Reliable Car
By matt052794

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

I got my 91 civic for 175 bucks CAN with 229,000km (which is low for the year) not too long ago, under 2 months. no problems so far, and doubt there will be any. it has the 1.5 5 speed, car has power for what it is. bought it off an old lady that owned it since new, just needed a timing belt when i got it.

Love my Honda
By kycivic

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Civic used in 1992 with 29,000 miles on it.
It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.
It is now at 270,000 miles and still going strong.
Just regular maintenance needed. The only reason I scored lower on the comfort is because my AC went out 2 years ago,and it was going to cost me $650 to get it fixed. My husband has
been through 3 trucks to my one car.
Love My Civic si.
Looking for another one.

I love the way this car handles. I like the hatchback with the lay down seats, because I ca haul almost anything (my kids bikes). The manual transmission is a must for this car.

None

What more can I say?
By matt

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX 2dr Hatchback

My brother-in-law gave me this car when he bought a newer car, an Accord. He always maintained it per Honda recommendations & had very few problems with it. I have only needed minor repairs since I've owned it. It has the typical rust problem that most hondas in Michigan have. I am impressed with the reliability of this car. It was built to be simple, reliable, & economical. By the way, it has 584,000 miles on it as I write this review & it still runs good but the body will not hold out much longer. What more can I say?

Plain & simple.

How can you improve on a car with this many miles?

cheap and reliable
By malcolm

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

Everything works on it, and that includes even the tape deck! It has no optional equipment, is very stripped down, which I love. In two years, I've replaced the exhaust system, brake calipers, and CV boot. It has almost 150,000 miles and I expect to get 150,000 more. It costs me about $42/month to insure and I spend, even with gas exceeding $2.70/gal $25/week in gas. Everyone who tells me they had one, wishes they still had it, I've never heard anything bad about these cars. Perfect for students or commuters, and very roomy.

Stick shift is fun to drive, and it's very close to the ground, so you really feel the speed. Very simple 2 mode windshield wipers, no complicated electronics, can't beat the reliability.

Has a weird, flat gel-based paint job that attracts grime, looks horrible and is difficult to clean. The mufflers have regular problems for some reason, and I would not include the plastic bumper strip on the side of the car.

Built to drive
By billysim47

1991 Honda Civic Hatchback 2dr Hatchback

I bought a 1991 Honda Civic 2 door Hatchback with 141000 miles and now have 182000 miles. So far I replaced a rear brake clamp. It is time for a timing belt replacement. This car has consistently given 36-44 miles per gallon with 39 being the average when driven 55mph. It is very reliable and nice to drive. It has a 5 speed standard transmission.

It hugs the road nicely with custom rims and 195 x 65 x 15 tires.

Wish it had cruise control.