Used 1997 Honda Civic del Sol Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Civic del Sol

View reviews for a specific Civic del Sol model:

Very fun car for the price
By germanhondaguy

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I bought mine for $3000. It is an automatic Si but man is it quick. Sure It's not a 12 second car but it is really fun to drive and that's the point. The mileage is great. Only problems I have are that the suspension is rough and the interior is kind of bland.

I was impressed to find two cup-holders in a car this size. The trunk was also very sizable, I fit more in it than my Civic EX

The '97 also doesn't leak like previous models. It has 170K on it and runs perfectly fine except for my one tie-rod that is wearing out ($15 part)

All-in-all if you want an economic car that is actually fun to drive, This is the car to get.

T-Top, good gas mileage, lasts forever, large trunk, fun to drive, cruise control

This car could use some better sound-dampening. It gets pretty loud. Also the interior light should be over the visors not in the back.

So far so good
By blouderback

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

I just bought this 1997 Honda del Sol a few days ago.
So far, I am enjoying driving it.
The seats are a little narrow, and are not adjustable in that regard (no lumbar adjustments).
I am somewhat disappointed at the cup holders.
Also, the dome light doesn't really light up much of anything, making th einterior very dark, even with the dome light on.
There are no lights around the floor area either.
Locking the doors is kind of a hassle.
You have to hold the inside release latch open and then lock the drivers door, otherwise you have to use the key from the outside to lock it.

Gas mileage is 30+, even while I'm driving it like a race car!

Performance and exterior styling

Better cupholders, lumbar support adjustments, better interior lighting.

Indestructible
By Batman

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

A '93 Del Sol is my daily driver. I beat the HELL out of this car. I drive it like I stole it, take turns like a maniac, and perform the bare minimum for maintenance. In the last 80K miles the only thing to break was the distributor cap. At 190K miles the car is still on its original clutch. This is unheard-of. The car keeps going and going, and absolutely will not die, sort of like that dude in that movie. Girls think it's "cute," which is okay I guess. It also goes for about a year on one tank of gas. Okay maybe not a year, but you get the point. It's ridiculously reliable and pretty fun to drive. Buy one.

What a great car
By reo4ua

1997 Honda Civic del Sol S 2dr Coupe

Bought used with 170k on the odometer to commute back and forth to work. My buying decision was based in large part on the reviews I read here while researching. To have as many miles on it as it does, this is one tight little car. Burns/leaks nothing! 100% bone stock and fairly well cared for. One month after buying I drove back home for a funeral 800 miles round trip. Ran it pretty hard and no trouble at all. Don't expect a lot of pep...not much power under the hood on the s model. Don't pass up the opportunity to buy one in good shape. Already 2 offers to buy mine.

-gas mileage -targa top -gas mileage -dependability -I'm 6'6" and have plenty of leg room.

-Doesn't really matter as they aren't making this car anymore.

302000 miles
By kmm215

1997 Honda Civic del Sol Si 2dr Coupe

Really, can I say more than that? 302K miles I've driven my del sol! And its still running strong...I recently purchased an '07 civic and am keeping my del sol for a summer car. Really I'm spoiled with great gas mileage and a targa top, but to follow up my review from 2+ years ago, this is by far the coolest most practical, impractical car I've ever owned!

targa top, huge trunk...reliable, reliable, reliable!

I still don't like the cup holders and now after nine years of being a contortionist with my morning coffee, I'm having a hell of a time using a "Normal" cup holder! :)