Used 2009 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 384 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Dependable, Comfortable, Quick & Nimble!
By Honest John

2009 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 2dr Coupe w/Navigation (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is pretty much perfect. It gets over 30MPG Hwy and makes 271HP. As an Audi S4 owner, I'm rather hard to impress with performance or style, but this tight little V6 did the job! It's a bit noisy on the road, a trade-off for the lower profile tires, but given the handling improvement they provide, they are well worth it. The one caveat would be the brake rotors. The stock ones warped the first week we owned the car. Jon Jones Chevrolet was quick to turn them at no charge, but now, about a year later, they are slightly warped again. I feel as if the car should have beefier brakes, given its performance. I would like to address the guy who wrote about Honda cars being "pieces of junk" while extolling the virtues of the Mercedes Benz line. Just read the Consumer Reports reviews on Honda's and Benz's and you will see that dependability-wise, the BENZ is surely the "piece of junk." The fact that you pay three times too much for the heavy, ugly German vehicles makes them a true fool's purchase. Most Mercedes owners realize this about the time the warranty runs out and they encounter their first REPAIR BILL!

Eats OIL
By robell

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Beware after 50.000 miles this car started using oil . Last oil change went 750 miles and used 3 quarts of oil . They did extend warranty because of this problem but good luck getting them to honor it. Just search oil usage Honda. They say one quart for a thousand miles is normal. Also say to let sit 15 min before checking . If there isn't oil on stick when you pull it out it isn't good . The oil pan is the reservoir for the engine if it isn't there the engine isn't getting it. I would really think twice about this car before buying . I was a GM Pontiac mechanic so I do know engines and cars.
Update :
They did rebuild pistons and rings , So far so good 6,000 miles and no oil usage !

A superb quality car
By Scott

2009 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife absolutely loves her Accord. It's our first Honda car (although we've owned Honda powersports equipment) and we couldn't be more pleased. Purchased at 35,000 miles on the clock and 41,000 miles later, all we've done are oil changes, a new battery, new tires and brakes. The only issue that we were somewhat disappointed in was having to replace the rear brakes at 50,000...and it just wasn't the pads. We had to replace calipers, rotors AND pads. But, some of that could be attributed to the cold, snowy climate that we live in (Northern NY). Other than that, the car has been a joy to own. Surprisingly decent power is supplied by the 2.4L 190 HP 4 cylinder engine and the 5-speed manual transmission. The 5-speed shifts smoothly and is a blast to run through the gears. Inside, the car is very comfortable and the 8-way power seats are wonderful. It's very good in snow IF you run snow tires on it, especially with the 5-speed and front wheel drive. Great sound system with the multi-CD changer & 6 speaker setup. Air conditioning works great as well---you have to wear a jacket if you have it on. The Accord is a very high-quality vehicle, and we would recommend it to anyone. My wife will be back for another one...if I can ever get her to part with this one.

2009 OIL DRINKER W/LOUD NOISE
By Tammy

2009 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My elderly parents bought this car without asking their daughters opinions. We would NEVER have suggested such a purchase with this piece of crap. They traded, well got robbed, of their Cadillac CTS and paid cash for Honda and it's been nothing but a money pit and a pin in their and my whole family's life. We were wanting something they could keep for rest of their life but holy geez that won't happen. I bought a Mercedes and it's simply the best vehicle I've ever owned and will ever own. I'm hoping to get this heep fixed and passed on to a mechanic that can constantly work on and put oil in it weekly!! I don't know where the oil is going but I know this is the biggest piece of CRAP EVER MADE. HONDA NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING FOR THE PEOPLE THAT OWNS ONE. Seriously a horse and carriage would be more comfortable and less of a pain [non-permissible content removed] and cheaper to run than this heep. They hate their self more everyday it seems and they shouldn't be worried about anything at their ages. They are in their 80's and just need a safe reliable car. That's it. DONT BUY A HONDA EVER!! Please listen to all these posts. We all CANT BE wrong.

Reliable? No
By Martha Lamb

2009 Honda Accord EX-L 4dr Sedan w/Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 09 Honda Accord sedan because I wanted reliability, and I was willing to pay more up front to avoid the repairs that one expects from less reliable American made cars. When I bought my dealer certified Accord, it had 65000 miles and now it has 165000. During the time I've owned it I have had to replace the rear brakes, the drivers side window control, the entire air conditioning system, and now, the rack and pinion steering. I am bitterly disappointed with this cat and will NOT purchase another Honda.