Used 2005 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 605 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Great combination of power and fuel economy
By clintonk

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

This is not your average fuel sipping hybrid. In order to see the fuel savings don't use the horsepower and stay at or below the speed limit. Also, unlike other hybrids, this car excels on the highway. With a trip in ohio from east to west with 51 miles rural highway and 84 miles interstate, I averaged 45.1 miles per gallon at the speed limits posted. town mileage with short trips less than 5 miles average 17-20 mpg and urban traffic is around 30. In November 2013 the IMA light started coming on with 135,000 miles I took it to the local dealer for a diagnostic, Battery Deterioration plus an update for the Hybrid system. the update has prevented the IMA from coming on since the update.

Heated leather seats, Ride comfort. All interstate mileage is wonderful, at a normal average of 38 mpg. Great passing power to get away from people that don't know how to merge onto the interstate. We bought it used in 2011, We have saved over $500 a year in gas versus our old V-6 that was 2 years newer.

Disconnect the ANC. that is what causes the Rumbling noise that everyone complains about. It is a green/red wire under the driver side dash. Youtube it. it will save your ears and sanity. be careful to cut and ground the correct one. I do not regret buying this car and would do it again!!!

2005 Accord hybrid
By oladipo

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I bought this car since 2012 and I have had no major issue with it except for ABS and TCS sensor. This was fixed and after which no issue except of recent this year having issue with driver/passenger door lock which does not respond the lock/unlock by the remote. I will try and fix it myself but if I have difficulties fixing it I will contact the electrician.

Another issue I constantly observe is the check engine light that constantly comes on...I have discussed this with my mechanic, he attributes it to the 02 sensor read from the OBDII( catalytic converter below threshhold). However, another Mechanic said I do not have to worry about that because a bad fuel can trigger that.

IMA Battery
By bjuicy

2005 Honda Accord Hybrid 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used. It was a smooth driving and comfortable vehicle. Good gas mileage and then the IMA Hybrid battery goes out and that's when the problems began. I just want to inform the consumers of the cost the will be out of
their pocket if by chance the electric battery goes out. You are looking at about 3500 to 4500 at a dealership to replace the battery. If you look online they are starting at 1600. Also just know these cars are designed to where you can only take it to the dealership to get any service done on them and even then a lot of the technician at the dealership don't even have the knowledge to diagnose or even work on these vehicles to fix the problems.

Smooth ride and the speed

Be more informative to your consumers about the cost and problems they can run into when the IMA battery goes out.

Best For The Money Bar None
By hondas_rule

2005 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I shopped around and drove a hard bargain.
Bought my '05 Accord between Christmas and New Years of '08 which I've read is a slow time for dealers and a good time to buy.
Got a nice clean EX 4 cyl with 38,000 miles on it for $12,800.
Was easily the most car I could find for a 100 mile radius for under my $15,000 limit.
I now have 120k miles on it.
Only maintenance besides brake pads, rotors, fluids and filters is replacing a squeaking serpintine belt and a burnt out brake light. Easlily the best car I have ever owned.
A dog with 4 people and luggage but does fine with 1-2 adults.
This is my second Accord.
I drive the old one to work and with 262k miles still a good driving decent car!

Decent Interior, zero rust, very good fit and finish, extremely reliable, parts are cheap when and if you ever need to buy them, very nice driving car, holding its value extremely well

Too much road noise comes in the cabin from the tires. Common complaint for Accords. This can be alleviated to some extent by making sure you by quiet tires.

If you want reliability...
By stepay

2005 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

...get this car!
Bought this car used in 2008 when it had 39,000 miles.
Now has 78,000 and going strong.
Have purchased new tires and then just oil and gas since.

The Accord is just a great solid, safe, reliable car.
If that excites you, then you're golden!
It's not the most exciting car to look at, and it's not all that fun to drive, but you turn the key and it starts and you get to where you want to be...that makes for a great car in my opinion.
It has decent power too which is nice.
There's no reason we can't drive this car to 200,000 miles or more.