Used 2004 Honda Accord Consumer Reviews - 941 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Honda Accord

View reviews for a specific Accord model:

Electrical Lemon
By kiisha

2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a little over 120,000 miles on my car. I bought it new and since 2006 I have had 4 electrical problems. It all started w/ a recall on the radio whose screen is currently fading in/out; I'm certain its on the verge of going black. The entire middle console is no longer illuminated making it difficult at night to navigate controls. The price alone to do just a diagnostic test is $150! The actuator on the passenger window was replaced TWICE under warranty (problem disengaged power windows). The lock on the driver door malfunctioned-covered by warranty. The most recent problem-trunk lock became inoperable-actuator replaced for the grand total (incl. labor) $263. Honda has disappointed me!

Best car I've ever owned
By 91_bmw

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather and Navigation (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

I have owned many cars including 4 Hondas, and this is the most reliable, lowest cost to own of them all. Tons of room for our family of 4 and only routine maintenance so far (oil, brakes, tires, etc.). Could get a little better mpg for a 4 cyl car, but gets over 30 mpg on the highway so can't complain too much. Very comfortable leather interior, good legroom (I'm 6'5" tall), and plenty of trunk space. Car now has 132,000 miles and doesn't leak or burn any oil, and the transmission still feels very strong with no issues so far. Can't imagine being happier with another car. Have always liked Hondas, but this one is by far the best I've owned.

Honda reliability, comfortable seats, overall build quality.

MPG for city driving could be better.

My Honda Accord
By averagejoe3

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5A)

Bought this 2004 accord two years ago. It already had 70 k miles and got it thourghly checked. Now, after two years I have mixed feelings about it.

Driving experience is great for the city because of its excellent acceleration and handling. That is pretty much it. Can't think of anything else.

I drive less than 600 miles a month (or 7200 a year). So, after 14k miles I had to... 1. buy a new starter and at the same time had to change the alternater! 2. buy a new windshield motor 3. had to fix my radio console (twice !) 4. fix driver side window 5. fix left hand signal Is this common? Maybe among accord owners... These may not sound much but ofcourse I had to change the tires, brakes, batteries, oil, belts etc.... and when you add all them up its alot of money and a big pain in the ass.

Great, reliable, soccer-mom car
By mach76

2004 Honda Accord EX 4dr Sedan w/Leather (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my '04 in '07 with 34k miles.
After 4 years & 100,000 miles the car has certainly fulfilled it's mission very well.

I originally evaluated this car against a BMW 3 or 5 series.
I dearly wanted the latter but considered my budget & driving needs - I live in So Cal and would be making regular trips to Las Vegas for work.
I envisioned myself in Baker with a broke-down Bimmer - calling in to work to say I can't make it due to car problems doesn't fly (I'm a pilot).
I searched for and found a 4-cyl. Accord-EX with leather and a stick.
The stick to give myself at least the illusion of driving a real car.
The 4-cyl. model for fuel economy and better reported reliability than the 6.

The car has been remarkably trouble-free. Follow the maint. sched., go with the 2.4L model and the man. trans. and you've got as reliable a car as there is. In 100,000 miles there have been two issues - the entertainment/climate control display blacked out and was replaced free under a Honda good-will program. And the cruise control switch failed, a $30 dollar part swapped out in minutes by my tech. Change the oil, do the "major service" every 30,000 miles that will maybe set you back a few hundred bucks. Drive it and forget about it.

OTOH understand what you are getting. The doors feel like you could remove them and carry them around in one hand. Handling is distinctly middle-of-the-road. If robustness and driving qualities and performance are important then you probably want a Audi or BMW. Just be prepared to pay.

Transmission!!!!!!!!
By sweetpea2009

2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 4dr Sedan w/Leather and Navigation (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L w/ Navigation. This is the 2nd Honda I have owned and I still owe $6,100 on it and it is sitting in a transmission shop right now :( And my quote is $3,000 to fix it. The car is only 6 years old and only has 144,000 miles on and the transmission goes out, there is something wrong with honda's Transmissions and to keep there customers happy they need to make good on their product . I really used to love Honda's but not anymore, I have changed my mind and to anyone that is getting a review on this car before you buy it, I would say that it is not a good investment and I just would not do it, I would look at a Toyota before you go this route!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honda needs to come out and say that they have bad transmissions and make good on their product. I have also had problems with power steering and electrical problems. Just not a good buy if u ask me and that sad because I used to love honda's to death :( They lost a very valuable customer :( I am going to get a toyota now, at least they can admit that had a problem with there vehicles and corrected them.